"Bridgnorth Shropshire" Bridgnorth by Andrew_W_K

Bridgnorth Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 129 photos

Midlands Gem

I've lived here for 22 years. It's a pretty little market town with several attractions (steam railway at 17 miles long, one of the longest in the UK, a funicular railway that joins the low and high areas of town, river Severn walks, Thomas Telford built church and much more). I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in England.
We also have a healthy 27 pubs in the town so you're never short of a watering hole!

View of Town

We have two main churches in Bridgnorth both interesting for the visitor. St Leonards is an enormous church when compared to the size of the town it serves. It looks medieval but is in fact Victorian gothic. Its site is not dissimilar to that of a cathedral in that it has its own close. The red sandstone material also makes it a very harmonious building.
St Mary's (pictured) was designed by Thomas Telford the great Scottish civil engineer and architect. It is Georgian in style and was built around 200 years ago.

River Severn

Towns benefit so much by having a river running through them. They make the place more attractive for a start and then people enjoy river activities like fishing, boating or just taking a riverside stroll.
Britains longest river (the Severn) flows through Bridgnorth and is prone to flooding in winter but the benefits it brings far outweighs the odd flood.

• Pros:Nice town in a good location
  • Cons:Property is too expensive
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2009

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2011 at 2:55 PM

hahahahaha...yes, the anded is an afterthought. He IS a great guy. Aren't you all for putting up with me?!?

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2011 at 7:07 AM

You've got some nice architecture in your town!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2011 at 9:33 PM

You live in a lovely spot.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Excellent pages & photo's of your home town! I would like it here, the quaint pubs, scenery, the Old Mill and all those Antique shops would keep me pretty busy!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM

>>> Hello, Andrew! I enjoyed reading your good page! It's a wonderful town you live in! <<< Thanks!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM

The black and white buildings seem common to Shropshire, though I've only really been to Shrewsbury when daughter lived in Telford. Nice area though and a pity I missed Bridgnorth itself.

• picek's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 1:15 AM

good tips and pics. we have ex-railway line near here but it's not being changed into anything more useful :( for now. it would be lovely if it was similar to The Severn Valley Way :)

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM

G' morning Andrew, Nice looking town. Proper amount of pubs, Yes TH did unto the Irish as Maradona did unto the English. Cheers, Karl

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Your town is what I always imagined English towns to be - lovely place - townhall, Shakespeare pub, & super curry! Grazie, <(•¿•)>

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 6:53 AM

Brave! Nah, proud! :) I have done it in pictures and I think you have done it in words? It's amazing what we have around us isn't it, I have lived here for 12 years now and only just discovered the Roman ruins.

Andrew_W_K Lives Here!

Andrew_W_K

“Enjoy this trip and it is a trip. Countdown is progressing. Uno, Dos, Uno, Dos, Trez, Quatro”

Badges & Stats in Bridgnorth

Have you been to Bridgnorth?

Latest Activity in Bridgnorth