"Chirk" Chirk by Andrew_W_K
Chirk Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 118 photos
According to the National Trust Chirk was the last castle to be built in the reign of Edward 1 and dates from the early 14th century. As castles go its more of a big house and you wouldn't think it would have withstood a sustained attack for very long.
Having said all that its a great place to spend a day wandering through the castle and the grounds. The nearby Berwen mountains give the place a beautiful backdrop.
One of the most impressive civil engineering feats can be seen in Chirk. Over 200 years ago Thomas Telford built the Pontcysyllte aqueduct to take the Llangollen canal over the Ceiriog valley.
Today it's still very much in use and you can walk the towpath that runs alongside.
There is a viaduct that is even higher that sits alongside the aqueduct taking trains along the Wrexham and Shrewsbury line.
If you are in the Chirk area you really should check out the spectacular aqueduct that spans the Ceiriog valley. And the... more travel advice
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Chirk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Easter Around Chirk"
- "CHIRK & ITS BEAUTIFUL CASTLE!"
- "Before the School Term"
- "Chirk Castle"
- "Castell Y Waun"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chirk
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Chirk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chirk
Photos in ChirkSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos