"Hawarden" Hawarden by Andrew_W_K
Hawarden Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 30 photos
Hawarden (pronounced Harden) is an interesting village about 5 miles west of Chester so a visit here is easy to combine with a trip to Chester.
It is worth a visit too. It's an attractive village centered around the estate of former prime minister William Gladstone who died here in Hawarden Castle in 1898. The castle is not open to the public but part of the grounds are. The village itself has many estate houses of stone along the main road and at least three good pubs that serve excellent food.
Another more recent resident of Hawarden is the England footballer Michael Owen.
The village also has the unusual St Deiniol's Library that was funded by Gladstone. It is the only residential library in Britain.
One of the most famous prime ministers of the 19th century Gladstone is synonymous with Hawarden even though he was born in Liverpool (some 20 miles away). He was to serve as prime minister for four terms and as a Liberal was an advocate of home rule for Ireland. If you are more interested then Google him.
You will find references to Gladstone everywhere in Hawarden like the statue pictured.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Hawarden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hawarden, 2 castles and an airport"
- "A Sleepy Village"
- "Nice Village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawarden
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Hawarden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawarden
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos