"Hexham" Hexham by Andrew_W_K
Hexham Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 82 photos
Standing in the centre of the pretty market town of Hexham is the abbey that dates from the 12th-13th centuries. The building is built from a reddish stone (sandstone?) which time has only served to improve.
The town itself is an excellent place to spend a few days due to its proximity to Hadrian's Wall, the north Penines and Newcastle.
The surrounding countryside is beautiful.
The oldest prison in England dates from the 14th century. Today it is a museum that covers archaeology, armour, weapons and local history.
Just a couple of miles outside Hexham you can pick up Hadrians wall. A UNESCO world heritage site built under the orders of the Roman Emperor Hadrian in the first century AD it runs across the breadth of England from Solway Firth to the Roman Segedunum at Wallsend (I never put 2 & 2 together until I went to Wallsend - Walls End!). Although much has been lost over the years there is still plenty to see.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Hexham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Interesting and Unusual Northumberland Town"
- "My fairytale castle near Hexham"
- "Hexham - lots of history packed into a small town!"
- "One of Northumberlands gems"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hexham
- Hotels in Hexham
- Transportation in Hexham
- Restaurants in Hexham
- Shopping in Hexham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hexham
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Hexham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hexham
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos