"Jedburgh" Jedburgh by Andrew_W_K
Jedburgh Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 100 photos
I'm half Scottish and this region is where my clan originates. My father was born in nearby Hawick and my grandparents lived in Galashiels so I have a great affinity with the area.
Jedburgh sits in the Cheviot Hills a few miles from the English border and around 40 miles south of Edinburgh. To see this region you need a car or motorcycle as the towns are sparse and the population small.
I hadn't been back to Jedburgh in 40 years and it seemed like nothing has changed. It's a fine town with some worthwhile sights to see but should really be combined with a touring holiday.
The most famous building is the ruined Augustinian abbey that was founded in 1138 but had a somewhat chequered history before the reformation finally sealed it's fate.
Just off the market square stands a curious clock tower. I say curious because it seems to have many functions: a gatehouse, entrance to a prison, Sherrif court or court or county buildings. It dates back to the early part of the 18th century and today is simply a clock tower.
Just a few miles north of Jedburgh just off the A68 main Edinburgh road is the Leaderfoot Viaduct. Opened in 1865 this railway bridge has been redundant since the 1960's and is now a grade 1 listed building.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Jedburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jedburgh in the Scottish Borderlands"
- "The Scottish Borders"
- "The Scottish-English Borderlands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jedburgh
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Jedburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jedburgh
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos