"Much to see" Much Wenlock by Andrew_W_K
Much Wenlock Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 54 photos
Much Wenlock is a very small town but also a very interesting one and if you get the chance to visit you should do, maybe in conjunction with a visit to nearby Ironbridge.
One of Much Wenlock's attractions is the priory or rather the ruins of the priory. The priory ruins of today date from Norman times in the twelth century but there was a Saxon monastery here from the 7th century.
The monastery was run by Cluniac monks and sadly went the way of many religious buildings during and after the reformation.
Note the ornate hedge trimming in the photo.
This tiny Shropshire town is responsible for reviving the Olympic games thanks to the efforts of local born Dr William Penny-Brooks. In 1850 the first Olympic games were held in the town. Originally intended to promote good health the games weren't just a test of physical strength and speed but had categories for things like sewing and photography. They proved such a success that in 1896 the first international Olympics were held and the rest as they say is history.
There is a marked Olympian Trail that begins and ends at the museum and winds its way through the town for 2,100 meters.
The museum has many exhibits from the original games including trophies and medals.
Wenlock Edge is a ridge of limestone that runs 15 miles from Much Wenlock to Craven Arms. At the highest point it is 330... more travel advice
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Much Wenlock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Much to do in Much Wenlock"
- "Much to see"
- "Much Wenlock - A gem of a town in Shropshire"
- "Much Wenlock"
- "I'm Stoat, and this is my friend Weasel"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Much Wenlock
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Much Wenlock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Much Wenlock
Photos in Much WenlockSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos