"Welshpool" Welshpool by Andrew_W_K
Welshpool Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 18 photos
Welshpool is a small town about 10 miles from the English border and about 20 miles from Shrewsbury. Being the first town you encounter if you are travelling into Wales from the direction of Shrewsbury then the claim on the sign outside town of "The Gateway to Wales" is true.
The town itself is a pleasant enough little market town with a disproportionate number of cafes and fish and chip shops no doubt catering to the hordes of holiday makers and day trippers en route to the coastal towns of Barmouth and Harlech.
But there are enough attractions for this small town to delay the tourist for longer than it takes to grab a cup of tea and a bag of chips.
With a steam railway, canal museum and the world class Powys castle you won't be stuck for something to do.
There are a number of interesting buildings on the high street from Georgian to black and white half timbered. If the overall effect is one of a hotch potch of styles then that only adds to the charm.
You could be forgiven for thinking that many canals run through Welshpool although in fact it is just the Montgomery canal. There are several branches though that criss cross the area around the town and there are several wharfs all with picnicing facilities.
There are lots of these little narrow gauge light railways in Wales and they are a joy. I believe they made them this... more travel advice
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Welshpool Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Welshpool
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Welshpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Welshpool
Photos in WelshpoolSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos