"The Holy City" Kairouan by Andrew_W_K
Kairouan Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 493 photos
Tunisians are quick to tell you that Kairouan is the fourth most holy place in the Muslim world after Mecca, Medina and Jeruselem it is also the holiest muslim city in Africa. Kairouan is a UNESCO World Heritage Site due mainly to the Grand Mosque and the Medina. The mosque dates back to the 9th century and conatins some 400 columns taken from the ruins of Carthage. The mosque is very impressive in it's size and situation and is worthy of a visit if you in the area.
Also known as "the Barber" because of the 3 locks of hair from the prophet Mohammed he carried with him, Abous El Am Belaoui, is buried in a 17th century mausoleum ornately tiled and sumptuously decorated. The buildings also house a school of the Koran and is place of holy learning.
Just inside the Medina is the restored palace of the Bey which is now a government run museum and carpet shop. The restored rooms are magnificent and there are weavers present making Tunisian rugs. The carpets are shown as is the custom in Tunisia but there is no hard sell as in some of the Souks.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Kairouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tunisia's Religious Centre"
- "Kairouan, the Holy City"
- "A city of mosques but also much more..."
- "KAIROUAN-Sacred city"
- "The Holy City"
- "Kairouan: the 4th Holiest Muslim City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kairouan
- Hotels in Kairouan
- Transportation in Kairouan
- Nightlife in Kairouan
- Restaurants in Kairouan
- Shopping in Kairouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kairouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kairouan
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Kairouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kairouan
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos