"Barfleur" Barfleur by Andrew_W_K
Barfleur Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 36 photos
One of those delightful, unspoiled little fishing towns that France seems to have an abundance of. The kind of place where you imagine artists would come for the ever changing light and the picturesque harbour.
Barfleur is the scene of a couple important historical events. In 1066 William set off from here to conquer England at the Battle of Hastings and just over 120 years later Richard 1 of England (the Lionheart or C?ur de Lion) set sail from here to make his return to England and rid her of the tyranny of king John.
Today it makes a pleasant place to spend the day.
A couple of miles further north from Barfleur this wild headland has been the scene of many a sunken ship brought onto the rocks during storms.
Today there are 2 lighthouses that help warn shipping that land is near. One of them stands a mighty 233 feet high.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Barfleur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A picturesque village"
- "Scenic little harbour where ships go up and down"
- "Text to follow"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barfleur
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Barfleur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barfleur
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos