"La Belle France" France by Andrew_W_K
France Travel Guide: 59,162 reviews and 161,395 photos
The thing I love about Normandy is how rural it is generally yet still within a stones throw of Paris and other major cities. I love Normandy in late summer when the apple trees are full of fruit and the light has a certain hazy quality. There are loads of places to go and things to do as well. From Mont St Michel in the south - one of the most iconic sights in all of France to the magnificence of Rouen with its churches and cathedrals.
The museum of peace in Caen is one of the best and most moving museums I have ever visited - take the spiral descent into 20th century events until you arrive at the rise of the third riech and you will be chilled to the bone.
The beaches are family oriented and some are vast like the one at Caranten.
The half timbered cottages that abound are more reminiscent of Herefordshire than France and are a delight in themselves.
There is a corniche road that follows the coast and brings you to the town of Honfleur - with one of the prettiest harbours anywhere.
Also worth the trip are the D-day beaches and cemetaries - another chilling reminder of events that took place in the fight against the Nazis.
Close to the D-day beaches is the town of Bayeaux where there is a fantastic cathedral and the famous tapestry.
Like I said at the start - loads of things to do and places to see.
France has more than its fair share of grand cathedrals - world famous structures that are instantly recognisable. From Notre Dame to Chartres to Rouen etc. With all these fabulous buildings its easy to overlook the smaller churches that abound in France. And although they aren't nearly as pretty as the Byzantine churches of Greece they are nonetheless worthy of note.
Another region worth visiting for its diverse sights. Roman remains in the town of Saintes, Futurescope near Poitiers, the classy town of La Rochelle, the Ille D'Oleron and Ille De Re, Napoleonic forts at Fouras and the world famous Fort Boyard, fantastic beaches along the Gironde and pretty little village of Talmont sur Gironde. Also the town of Cognac where you can visit the most famous distilleries in the world. You need a car though as its a big region and public transport won't get you to all these places easily.
- Cons:It's not cheap
- In a nutshell:One of the most picturesque countries in Europe
In Normandy you can spend a week visiting the scene of the D-Day landings and battles that took place on 6 June 1944.... more travel advice
Written May 10, 2008
Paris by foot - From Bastille to Arch de Triomphe
Written Feb 2, 2012
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
France Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL FRANCE !!!"
- "France - a place for many adventures"
- "France 2002 & 1995"
- "LA BELLE FRANCE"
- "My memory of the past, my dreams of the future"
- See All...
- Things to Do in France
- Hotels in France
- Transportation in France
- Nightlife in France
- Restaurants in France
- Shopping in France
- Warnings and Dangers in France
- See All...
Badges & Stats in France
- 15 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to France?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in France
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
Top France hotels
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Nice Hotels
- 1785 Reviews - 3832 Photos
- Lourdes Hotels
- 125 Reviews - 278 Photos
- Lille Hotels
- 385 Reviews - 925 Photos
- Strasbourg Hotels
- 923 Reviews - 2773 Photos
- Cannes Hotels
- 443 Reviews - 1104 Photos
- Avignon Hotels
- 416 Reviews - 1179 Photos
- Caen Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 374 Photos
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 669 Photos
- Nantes Hotels
- 218 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Menton Hotels
- 131 Reviews - 292 Photos
- Lyon Hotels
- 558 Reviews - 1312 Photos
- Le Cap d'Agde Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 95 Photos
- Reims Hotels
- 285 Reviews - 880 Photos
- Annecy Hotels
- 215 Reviews - 653 Photos