"Lisieux" Lisieux by Andrew_W_K
Lisieux Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 44 photos
The basilica is a 20th century building that is stunning, interesting, big, brash and slightly gaudy all at the same time. Begun in 1929 and consecrated in 1954 the basilica celebrates the life of Marie-Françoise-Thérèse Martin or Sainte Thérèse as she later became. If you want to read about her life you can find plenty of things on the internet.
The basilica is well worth a visit from a tourist point of view as it is a stunning building although not one that would say is either beautiful or harmonious in its proportions as some of France's more traditional religious buildings are.
Built from white marble it is similar in appearance to the Sacre Couer in Paris, a comparison reinforced by its hilltop location.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Lisieux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lisiuex - The town of Ste Therese"
- "A Pilgrimage to the city of St. Therese"
- "Home to St. Therese of the Child Jesus"
- "The Little Flower"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lisieux
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Lisieux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisieux
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos