"Poitiers" Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers by Andrew_W_K
Poitiers Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 212 photos
The city of Poitiers dates back before even the Romans and is full of history and places of interest. Quite a bit of good archaeology exists from the Roman period. Poitiers was hugely important during the hundred years war with England as a major battle took place here and they even made Poitiers the capital while the English occupied Paris.
Today the city is a very pleasant and picturesque place to spend a day or two as a tourist.
This is the Baptistère Saint-Jean which is reputed to be the second oldest church in France. Dating from the 5th century it reminded me a little of the Byzantium style of churches. It hasn't always been so well regarded. Bits of it have fallen off over the years and not replaced and at one point it had fallen out of the control of the church and was being used as a warehouse.
Happily those days are gone now and the building is treated with the respect it deserves.
As you walk along Rue Marche Notre Dame just off the Place Charles de Gaul you will see the Palais de Justice. Although... more travel advice
This is one of those places that I'm destined to have bad luck at. When I went for the first time in 1993 the whole... more travel advice
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Poitiers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Important Ancient Buildings"
- "The oldest university in the land"
- "i miss this town!"
- "MY CITY"
- "City of Science and History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poitiers
- Hotels in Poitiers
- Transportation in Poitiers
- Nightlife in Poitiers
- Restaurants in Poitiers
- Shopping in Poitiers
- Warnings and Dangers in Poitiers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poitiers
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Poitiers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poitiers
Photos in PoitiersSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos