"Vitre" Vitré by Andrew_W_K
Vitré Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 183 photos
The main reason that people stop by Vitre is to visit the enormous chateau. It is typically French with pepper pot turrets and curtain walling. There has been a castle here for over 1,000 years but the present version dates from the 13th century. It has served a number of functions over the years including that of a prison barracks. It is also one of the first castles in France to be designated a building of historic interest back in 1872.
The town is one of the best preserved medieval towns in Brittany and has an impressive array of old (and some) strange buildings. There is enough to keep the keen traveller occupied for a day here.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Vitré Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VITRE - ANOTHER MEDIEVAL TOWN"
- "A Castle with an Intact "Murder Hole" & More"
- "Vitrè - Medieval Town"
- "The marshes of high Brittany, and a castle."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vitré
- Hotels in Vitré
- Transportation in Vitré
- Restaurants in Vitré
- Shopping in Vitré
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vitré
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Vitré?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vitré
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos