"Shropshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire by Andrew_W_K
Shropshire Travel Guide: 370 reviews and 1,047 photos
Shropshire is one of the most underrated counties in England. If you say you come from Shropshire most English people wouldn't be able to pinpoint it on a map and yet it is the largest land locked county in England. Shropshire is a rural county but ironically also the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution (see Ironbridge). Today Shropshire is something of a sleepy backwater with only the towns of Telford and Shrewsbury of any size and to be fair they are hardly what you'd call large.
What Shropshire has though is plenty of things for the traveller to enjoy: Ironbridge gorge is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, there are splendid castles at Ludlow, Stokesy and at Shrewsbury where there is also a fine abbey. Bridgnorth has the Severn valley railway (one of the longest steam railways in England) and everywhere there are wonderful country homes like this one pictured. Morville Hall is just 3 miles west of Bridgnorth opposite a fine Norman church.
Come to Shropshire please and you won't be disappointed.
Yes, really. In 1858 the Shropshire village of Much Wenlock decided to reintroduce the olympic games and held the first one in 1859. Inspired by local doctor William Penny-Brookes it took a visit by Frenchman Baron de Coubertain to instigate the first international olympics in Athens in 1896. If you visit Much Wenlock there is an olympic trail you can follow round the village.
If you like walking then look no further than Shropshire. There are numerous walks to enjoy all over the county but especially around Church Stretton where the area is often referred to locally as little Switzerland. Anyone who has been to Switzerland would laugh at this comparison and yet there is something about the way the Shropshire hills rise almost sheer from the town that is faintly reminiscent of more mountainous regions.
If you are interested in the history of the RAF, Britain's role in the Cold War or just have an interest in general... more travel advice
One of the truly great Shropshire sights. Attingham Hall is a country house on a grand scale that is set in a huge... more travel advice
Written May 10, 2009
Transport spotted in Shropshire
Written Apr 9, 2010
Images of Shropshire
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Shropshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shrophire - Glorious England"
- "Blue Remembered Hills"
- "Green and wet and wonderful"
- "My Shropshire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shropshire
- Hotels in Shropshire
- Transportation in Shropshire
- Nightlife in Shropshire
- Restaurants in Shropshire
- Shopping in Shropshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Shropshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shropshire
- 38 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Shropshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shropshire
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos