"The SPA capital of the Bulgaria" Velingrad by mirchica
Velingrad Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 63 photos
Velingrad is known as the SPA capital of Bulgaria. This is because of the more than 90 mineral springs of hot water in the town. Mnay hotels have grown up in the past few years.This springs were also used by the thracians and romans who have completely known the features of the water.
An interesting fact is that in 1937 the mayor of Velingrad decided to build a beach with mineral water.He also ordered to bring sands from Varna(at the Black sea) with waggons - 500km!!! At this time it was not only the first mineral beach in Bulgaria but also,in Europe only Karlovy vary in Czech Republic had existed.
Velingrad was formed in 1948 when 3 villages have been united - Chepino,Ladzhene and Kamenitsa and now there are 3 neighbourhoods with the same name.
The town is named after Vela Peeva (meaning the city of Vela) who has been a partisan in the fight against the fascism.Her father has worked in The USA in mines between 1914 and 1920.When he has come back and he has built a house in Kamenitsa village (where is the Historical museum now) and two years later Vela was born.She has grown up in a rich family but she couldn't accept the poorness of the others and that Bulgaria has taken the side of Germany in the the WWII. So,she has become a member of the Bulgarian communist party and has started her fight for equality for people.In the spring if 1944 she has fallen under siege and after 5 hours skirmish she has died by her own bullet.
Souvenirs could be found on Han Asparuh street in the center. You just can’t miss them. more travel advice
The central street is not very long but it seems to be repaired soon – shops, banks, cafes, restaurants. more travel advice
mirchica's Related Pages
Velingrad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The SPA capital of the Bulgaria"
- "Vela's town"
- "town of Velingrad-in the heart of Rhodopi mountine"
- "Hmm...my first visited city in the Rodopi (teil 1)"
- "Velingrad - do you know what it means?"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Velingrad
- 12 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Velingrad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Velingrad
Photos in VelingradSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 71 reviews, 161 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 44 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 134 photos
- Bulgaria Intro, 31 reviews, 136 photos
- Düsseldorf Intro, 36 reviews, 131 photos
- Prague Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bansko Intro, 20 reviews, 78 photos
- Brasov Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nürnberg Intro, 22 reviews, 73 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Velingrad hotel reviews
- Grand Hotel Velingrad
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013