"Agrigento" Top 5 Page for this destination Agrigento by isolina_it
Agrigento Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 298 photos
A half-day walking tour through the densely-layered historical centre of Agrigento. Explore the maze of tiny alleys, piazzas and side-streets, see the Norman Duomo of Saint Gerlando, the Church of Santa Maria dei Greci built on the steps of a Greek temple and the Church and Convent of Santo Spirito where you can taste almond sweets made by the local Cistercian cloister nuns.
Agrigento is a town (55.000 in.) situated on an hill very close
to the southern coast of Sicily. In 581 B.C., a group of Greek, coming from Gela, founded a new town, near the sea and between two rivers, they called their town Akragas. This town rapidly became
larger and more important thanks to an intense participation in politic and literary life. Indeed Akragas may be said to be the cradle of a large number of artists and famous men: the philosopher Empedocle is the most famous among them. Akgragas fought longer against Carthago and Syracuse. In 210 B.C. after a long struggle, the Romans conquered the city, which was re-called Agrigentum.
Later in 806 A.C. the Arabs invaded Agrigentum, transferred the
town on the hilltop (more efensible) not far from the sea and called it Kerkent. After 1086 A.C. the following invaders were the Normans, the Swabians, the Spaniards and at last the Borbons
(1743). Till today it is possible to see the traces of every domination in the whole town. The wonderful doric monuments, the cobalt-blue sky, the salubrious climate at the peerless view make Agrigento a desirable place were a long stay is delightful. In february the almond-trees in flower give the Temples valley a special glamour and an unusual charm. It is very interesting to attend the International Folklore festival.
This was the first temple built in the valley at Agrigento. The construction of this temple was completed during the... more travel advice
This temple was built in the 5th century and it was dedicated to Leda and Zeus's twins. Of the 34 columns used to make... more travel advice
isolina_it's Related Pages
Agrigento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Agrigento -little Marocco with lots of Italy"
- "Agrigento: The Ups and Downs"
- "My heart has been stolen"
- "september rain"
- "One of those hidden treasures of the World"
- "IL DUOMO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Agrigento
- Hotels in Agrigento
- Transportation in Agrigento
- Nightlife in Agrigento
- Restaurants in Agrigento
- Shopping in Agrigento
- Warnings and Dangers in Agrigento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Agrigento
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Agrigento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agrigento
Photos in AgrigentoSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 62 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 76 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Messina Intro, 44 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos
- Palmi Intro, 34 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 27 reviews, 23 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue