"Messina and surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Messina by isolina_it
Messina Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 205 photos
This is the place where I grew up until the day I moved to Amsterdam.
I love it and I have always kind of felt uneasy walking and living here I think because I have always had with ME a strange relation, of wish of leaving and come back soon, because of its wind and the sea and the ``open-close Messina people`` to whom I have always thought I would not belong but that know I recognize more than ever as part of myself, and this is why I miss it so much...!
So, have a visit and just get the pleasure of walking around and enjoy to its extent, because what Messina offers you is something with the heart, as well what it denies you dont have to feel sorry of. It`s just Messina...!
Messina is situated on the north-eastern side of Sicily, on Messina's Strait which links the Tirreno with the Ionio and divides the isle from Calabria.
The best periods to visit Messina and its surroundings are in spring and at the beginning of summer, July and August being very hot.*
At the entrance of The Straits of Messina there was a cave inhabited by a terrifying monster named Scilla. It had 12 horrible claws and six long necks and on each of them there was a head with a coloured mouth.
Every ship that sailed past the cave paid Scilla a high tribute because it would catch some men of the crew and kill them!
The opposite rock of the Straits was inhabited by Cariddi who swallowed up the waves of the sea 3 times a day and 3 times a day gave them back.
With this legend, invented by Homer, the ancient explained the continuous bubbling of the sea and its many dangerous whirpools.
Actually all that was caused by the particular sea floor and the violence of the currents in the Straits of Messina
- In a nutshell:Sun wind and sea in my soul
A few tunnels on the highway that connects Messina to its neighbourhoods and to other villages have the exit warning... more travel advice
It is beautiful, the most important places (squares and churches) are lighted thus giving to the town a magic atmosphere more travel advice
- See All Bed and Breakfast on the strait
- Sailing between two lands
- Fashion all over
- Spring/summer nice meeting points
- Summer and winter packing clothes
isolina_it's Related Pages
Messina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Messina and surroundings"
- "Enter Sicily via Messina"
- "A broken day trip"
- "The forgotten corner of Sicily"
- "Mt Etna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Messina
- Hotels in Messina
- Transportation in Messina
- Nightlife in Messina
- Restaurants in Messina
- Shopping in Messina
- Warnings and Dangers in Messina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Messina
- 44 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 113 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Messina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Messina
Photos in MessinaSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 62 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 76 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Messina Intro, 44 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos
- Palmi Intro, 34 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 27 reviews, 23 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Messina hotel reviews
- Scilla e Cariddi B&B
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 1, 2013