"Messina and surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Messina by isolina_it

Messina Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 205 photos

My home town

This is the place where I grew up until the day I moved to Amsterdam.
I love it and I have always kind of felt uneasy walking and living here I think because I have always had with ME a strange relation, of wish of leaving and come back soon, because of its wind and the sea and the ``open-close Messina people`` to whom I have always thought I would not belong but that know I recognize more than ever as part of myself, and this is why I miss it so much...!
So, have a visit and just get the pleasure of walking around and enjoy to its extent, because what Messina offers you is something with the heart, as well what it denies you dont have to feel sorry of. It`s just Messina...!

A nice Sicily map

Messina is situated on the north-eastern side of Sicily, on Messina's Strait which links the Tirreno with the Ionio and divides the isle from Calabria.
The best periods to visit Messina and its surroundings are in spring and at the beginning of summer, July and August being very hot.*

A sip of myth

At the entrance of The Straits of Messina there was a cave inhabited by a terrifying monster named Scilla. It had 12 horrible claws and six long necks and on each of them there was a head with a coloured mouth.
Every ship that sailed past the cave paid Scilla a high tribute because it would catch some men of the crew and kill them!
The opposite rock of the Straits was inhabited by Cariddi who swallowed up the waves of the sea 3 times a day and 3 times a day gave them back.
With this legend, invented by Homer, the ancient explained the continuous bubbling of the sea and its many dangerous whirpools.
Actually all that was caused by the particular sea floor and the violence of the currents in the Straits of Messina

• In a nutshell:Sun wind and sea in my soul
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2005

• karentids's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2008 at 6:42 AM

Wonderful pages and lots of information, thank you

• lichinga's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2006 at 5:09 AM

Bellissima foto della fata morgana! E anche la pagina!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 9:54 AM

So many wonderful traditions you've shared and beautiful architecture! Those frosty granitas would be welcome on a hot day--Messina seems a great place to visit!

• joernme's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 8:10 AM

Ciao Rosa, leuke site van jouw stad. In my last job I was exporting cookies named "Messino", with the rich and sunny flavour of real Messina oranges. Looks like there is more than oranges, though... ;-) Ciao from Germania, Joern

• mignonne's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 8:05 AM

Mama mia! La granita Siciliana,che buona!! Mi piace anche con brioche! ;-))

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2004 at 5:42 AM

There are many people from Ireland in my chat group. You might ask them for info on your trip. http://www.urban4est.com/chat.html

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2004 at 5:20 PM

Funny how we can have a love hate relationship with our home town isn't it! Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading this truly wonderful page Rosalba! Grazie mille & Ciao!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 2:17 AM

Quality pages reminding me of what I didn't see in Sicilia.

• barrikello's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2004 at 12:58 PM

Fantastica la foto della Fata Morgana. complimenti!

• MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2004 at 12:34 PM

Saw the tip on the VT home page and thought it looked great!

isolina_it

“"the skin is my last border, then comes the world"”

Badges & Stats in Messina

Have you been to Messina?

Latest Activity in Messina