"Palmi: my memories as a child" Palmi by isolina_it

Palmi Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 42 photos

I have grown up in Palmi during my school weekends and spent here all my summer holidays for more than 15 years and now that I live so far I feel that I must visit Palmi at least every year. Memories of beach, shores, coast, countryside and walking barefooted among agricultural growings is so rooted inside me...that I return to be a child every time I step into my old grandmas house or even as I happen to think about it!...

Costa Viola or Violet Coast, that tract of the littoral which stretches up to Villa San Giovanni and so named because of the violet colour of its crystal-clear sea, begins at PALMI, a modern town with larpes squares and wide avenues situated on a terrace overlooking the sea at the North-western tip of Aspromonte, and dominated by Mount Sant'Elia. The very first historical records of Palmi, which is the main centre of Rosarno Plain, date from 1310 although its oripins probably date as far back as the 10th century, when it sprang up as a refuge of the inhabltants of Taurianum, the ancient Roman town that was destroyed by the Saracens in 951. Its name perhaps derives from the fact that numerous palm trees grow in the surrounding countryside.
A few kilometres away from the town one comes to Lido di Palmi, situated in the centre of a beautiful cove, with a beach of very fine sand and enclrcled by suggestive cliffs. Here, one can find weil-equipped bathing areas, modern hotels and excellent restaurants.

View from Mount S. Elia

Isnt that wonderful?
A long walk of stone stairs can take you not really down but enough to take a better view of the blues water.
Infact the very little red spot in the pics its me....taking breath to come up again :)

Tonnara

This is Palmi beach, really crowded between july and august. Personally I prefer it like this, on june and sept., little waves, few relaxed people and a light breeze.

• Intro Updated Jan 17, 2004

• Aug 4, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Lovely piece about Palmi. I recently bought house nr Zambrone. Fell in love with the place. It's the most exciting thing I ever did. I want no one to burst my bubble! How wonderful to hear your comments. Grazia. Love, Patricia

• Biljana's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2004 at 2:04 AM

Palmi certainly has its charms. Thanks for the great info especially about the local life. Nutella pizza now there is something I've never heard of before. But being a chocoholic I would love to have a bite or two.

• vysnaite's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2004 at 5:36 PM

page packed with memories! =) capisco perche ti viene nostalgia..sembra1posto che respira con romantica, conservatism/tradizione e allo stesso momento con liberta!Might be around there from July.

• Paolo-Italy's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2003 at 6:15 AM

a queste pagine manca solo la colonna sonora! :-))

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2003 at 5:35 AM

nice reports of the local life and some spectacular photos! there is some Italian blood running in my vains too, one of the grand grand mothers was named Carmela :-)

isolina_it

“"the skin is my last border, then comes the world"”

Badges & Stats in Palmi