"A pleasant weekend trip" Région de Bruxelles-Capitale by isolina_it
Région de Bruxelles-Capitale Travel Guide: 5,966 reviews and 12,957 photos
Brussels is more than a 1000 years old. Today the name Brussels stands for an agglomeration of 19 communes forming one of the three Regions of the federal Belgian state; the capital of the Kingdom of Belgium; the headquarters of the French and Flemish Communities. Brussels also has an important international vocation : as the European capital the city is home to the European Commission and to the Council of ministers of the European Union (EU).
Brussels is the bilingual capital of Belgium. This means that both French and Dutch are the official languages of the city. Street names and traffic sings are always in these two languages. Furthermore, it is a cosmopolitan city where many different cultures live together and where different languages can be heard on each street. This liveliness and international flair is, of course, intimately related to its role as a crossroads for all of Europe.
The same variety and contrast can also be found in the different architectural styles that can be found in Brussels, the former capital of the medieval Duchy of Brabant. Gothic cathedrals and churches are next to - and sometimes in stark contrast with - gracious classical facades like the buildings around the Royal Square (Place Royale - Koningsplein), or beautiful art nouveau and art deco houses.
The heart of Brussels and the place to start getting to know the city is the Grand'Place (Grote Markt). This historic market square with its splendid guild houses and the impressive Gothic beauty of the Town Hall, is widely considered to be one of the most beautiful town squares in Europe.
This church is to be found at the Treurenberg hill on the edge between lower and upper town.Because of its growing... more travel advice
Belgium is the country with the best beer in the world (we try to be objective). Therefore, your stay in Brussels cannot... more travel advice
isolina_it's Related Pages
Région de Bruxelles-Capitale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A pleasant weekend trip"
- "The less known Bruxelles-Cap Region"
- "Bruxelles September 2008"
- "Comic Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Hotels in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Transportation in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Nightlife in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Restaurants in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Shopping in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Warnings and Dangers in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- 14 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Région de Bruxelles-Capitale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
Photos in Région de Bruxelles-CapitaleSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 62 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 76 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Messina Intro, 44 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos
- Palmi Intro, 34 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 27 reviews, 23 photos
- Sicilia Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Eugene Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue