"PAOAY" Top 5 Page for this destination Paoay by Lensky
Paoay Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 136 photos
The best thing to remember about this town is one story about Ferdinand Marcos. Of course, Marcos was an Ilocano through and through so naturally, most Ilocanos like him.
The story is when Marcos left Malacanang after the People Power Revolution in EDSA year 1986. He is aboard a helicopter with an American pilot together with his entire family. As the helicopter was about to take off, he turned to the pilot and instructed him, "Take me to Paoay." Well, with the helicopter blades spinning and the pilot being an American, thought that President Marcos said, "Take me to Hawaii." Marcos was surprised when he found himself breathing American air and was greeted Aloha! as he boarded down. He spent the remaining years of his life there in exile until he died in 1989.
Made me wonder how a helicopter was able to travel from Manila to Hawaii, don't you?
Lensky's Related Pages
Paoay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paoay - another UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Paoay, A Unesco World Heritage Site"
- "OFF TO PAOAY, ILOCOS NORTE"
- "Paoay, Ilocos Norte"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paoay
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Paoay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paoay
Photos in PaoaySee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio City Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 6 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tagaytay City Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vigan Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cebu Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Macao Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Panglao Island Intro, 1 review, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Laoag City Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Pasig Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue