"A great well preserved medieval city" Top 5 Page for this destination Aigues-Mortes by vinc_bilb
Aigues-Mortes Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 165 photos
(Extract and summary from external sources + my own inputs)
Name of the city is coming from "dead waters" ("lei Aigas Mòrtas" in old local langage, becoming "Aigues-Mortes" in modern French)
The foundation of the city was around 102 BC, but the first official document mentioning a place called "Ayga Mortas" (dead waters) dates from the 10th century.
Louis IX of France (Saint Louis) rebuilt the port in the 13th century as France's only Mediterranean port at that time. It was the starting point of the Seventh Crusade (1248) and the Eighth Crusade (1270).
From 1575 to 1622, Aigues-Mortes was one of the eight safe havens granted to the Protestants. The revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 caused severe repression of Protestantism,
The 1,650 metres of city walls were built in two phases: the first during the reign of Philippe III the Bold and the second during the reign of Philippe IV the Fair, who had the enclosure completed between 1289 and 1300. The Constance Tower, completed in 1248, is all that remains of the castle built in Louis IX's reign. It was almost certainly the gatehouse tower, designed to be impregnable with its six-metre-thick walls.
(picture from Tourism Info center web site)
Louis IX (25 April 1214 – 25 August 1270), commonly Saint Louis, was King of France from 1226 to his death.
Louis's piety and kindness towards the poor was much celebrated.
He went on two crusades, in his mid-30s in 1248 (Seventh Crusade) and then again in his mid-50s in 1270 (Eighth Crusade). Both were complete disasters; after initial success in his first attempt, Louis's army of 15,000 men was met by overwhelming resistance from the Egyptian army and peoplecite.
- Pros:A great medieval city
- Cons:Nothing significant to add than a great medieval city, tourism
- In a nutshell:City of Saint Louis
Most of the restaurants are located around Saint Louis square. There are the usual 1st place for tourists. But, just... more travel advice
Cars are not allowed in the old medieval city. Tourism information center map for parking locations is attached... more travel advice
vinc_bilb's Related Pages
Aigues-Mortes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great well preserved medieval city"
- "A visit to a boat"
- "Aigues-Mortes, a medeveal harbour"
- "Aigues Mortes in the Camargue"
- "Aigues-Mortes - Salt Town"
- "The walled city in the Camargue"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aigues-Mortes
- Hotels in Aigues-Mortes
- Transportation in Aigues-Mortes
- Nightlife in Aigues-Mortes
- Restaurants in Aigues-Mortes
- Shopping in Aigues-Mortes
- Warnings and Dangers in Aigues-Mortes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Aigues-Mortes
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Aigues-Mortes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aigues-Mortes
Photos in Aigues-MortesSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 76 photos, 8 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 6 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 3 reviews, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mont Saint Michel Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belle-Île-en-Mer Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Makati Intro, 2 reviews, 45 photos, 7 travelogues
Latest Aigues-Mortes hotel reviews
- Hotel des Croisades
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 20, 2013