"The most feminine of castles" Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau by vinc_bilb
Chenonceau Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 416 photos
After The royal chateau of Chambord, we moved to Chenonceau, improving our cultural session in the Loire valley with a totally different type of architecture.
>>> Personnal rating: 4/5
The original architecture of the Château de Chenonceau reflects in the Cher river. It owes a large part of its charm to women.
"The lovely surroundings, the formal garden and the park surrounding it add to the impression of delicate grace emanating from the castle."
Chenonceau is also remarkable for its fine quality of its collections, rare tapestries and ancient paints.
Original construction phase: 1513-1521
Chenonceau Castle was traditionally a castle for women, and its design shows the delicate touch of its many female.
- Katherine Briçonnet, wife of a wealthy tax collector, began the construction
- King Henry II gave later (1547) the Castle to his beautiful mistress, Dianne de Poitiers, who expanded Chenonceau with the famous arches.
- After Henry's death his wife, Catherine de Medici took possession of this castle from her dead husband's mistress and made many improvements (gardens, gallery,...)
- Queen Louise de Lorraine spent her last years of widowhood there, after King Henti III's death.
- Unlike some castles in Loire Valley, Chenonceau was saved from the ravages of the French Revolution by another woman, Louise Dupin, a favorite host in Enlightenment France.
- Pros:Gardens, casttle, paints ... a lof of elegant jewels
- Cons:Audioguides only ...
- In a nutshell:A delicate grace
... or better than nothing. Overall a disppointing hotel: - Nobody at the reception when we arrived - Some traffice... more travel advice
Beyond the memorable visit of the castle, Chenonceau offers the possibility of freely discovering the two renowned and... more travel advice
- I'll try to come back: don't miss
- General information's
- Specific restrictions inside the château
vinc_bilb's Related Pages
Chenonceau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ladies Castle"
- "Chenonceau: With an ‘X’ and Without One."
- "Chenonceaux - Chateau of the Dames"
- "The most feminine of castles"
- "Moscow - Chenonceau"
- "Chenonceaux Palais sur le Cher"
- "Chenonceau has the most beautiful castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chenonceau
- Hotels in Chenonceau
- Transportation in Chenonceau
- Nightlife in Chenonceau
- Restaurants in Chenonceau
- Warnings and Dangers in Chenonceau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chenonceau
- 12 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Chenonceau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chenonceau
Photos in ChenonceauSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 76 photos, 8 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 16 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 6 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 3 reviews, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mont Saint Michel Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belle-Île-en-Mer Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Makati Intro, 2 reviews, 45 photos, 7 travelogues