"A typical great village in Provence" Le Castellet by vinc_bilb
Le Castellet Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 22 photos
Le Castellet (middle age village) is situated in the department of Var in the (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region). It is located on a rocky outcrop between Toulon and Marseilles, closed from the Mediterranean Sea.
It is surrounded by vineyards and is part of the Côtes de Provence vine.
Also known by the previously Circuit Paul Ricard, on the same commune.
Water was and is key in Provence and it could be surprizing why building a village on the top of a rocky outcrop. The reason was to prevent peoples from current attacks from pirates (razias) during the middle age. Original roman village was located in the plain.
So, now it's more a tourist spot than a real village. Anyway, it's a great time to spend 1/2 day for visiting this small middle age location :
- local and old arhitecture
- shoping (local provencal arts and crafts)
- private galeries and painting
My family (my father side) is coming from here (6 generations).
I recommend a tour here, avoid july and august periods and week-ends. Best is april-may or september - october
- External parking are mandatory and don't try to drive inside the village (not authorized and the streets are very narrow)
- No way to be lost here, village is verry small
- Pros:1/2 day of middle age immersion, great, charming, shoping
- Cons:Crowded, no more a village
I didn't eat here, but this restaurant is well known. Rating from French users are good to very good (food, staff,... more travel advice
The original circuit, created by Paul Ricard (well known for his French alcool "Pastis") in 1970, was the setting for... more travel advice
vinc_bilb's Related Pages
Le Castellet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A typical great village in Provence"
- "Le Castellet - an artist village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Le Castellet
- Restaurants in Le Castellet
- Warnings and Dangers in Le Castellet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Le Castellet
- 8 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Le Castellet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Le Castellet
Photos in Le CastelletSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Jordan Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 73 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 6 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 3 reviews, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mont Saint Michel Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belle-Île-en-Mer Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Makati Intro, 2 reviews, 45 photos, 7 travelogues