"Melaka (Malaysia)" Melaka by vinc_bilb
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,691 reviews and 4,378 photos
Enjoy your eyes: old architecture (European) is partially preserved. Multicultural and etchnic influences also (china array with a lot of temples, ...).
Update (August 2008): my friend Jean-Michel, leaving in Muar, highlighted one error, saying I was rewriting the story due to my confusion between dutch and deutch:
j'ai constate que tu avais re-ecrit l'histoire de Melaka avec la presence de colons allemands (sic).
- 1511 les portugais debarquent apres avoir echappe a la mousson de l'ocean indien, aux recifs, au scorbut, aux pirates, aux navires de guerre des autres nations, a la chaleur torride et installent une colonie qui a reussi à survivre jusqu'a nos jours.
- 1641 les hollandais debarquent et virent les portugais; il y a aussi peut etre quelques allemands dans le lot a cause de la proximite commune en Europe et qu'on peut jamais etre sur de rien mais la majorite est bien hollandaise.
Hollandais en anglais se dit dutch et se prononce comme "deutch" en francais :) c'est certainement l'origine de la meprise.
- 1800 Napoleon envahit la Hollande qui pour l'emmerder refile Melaka au anglais; apres la defaite et la morne plaine les anglais echangent Bencoleen en Indonesie avec Melaka; le reste est connu et l'histoire continue de s'écrire.
Melaka (Malacca) is a nice historic town, where old architecture (from Portugese, Dutch, English) is preserved. Multicultural and etchnic influences also (china array with a lot of temples, ...)
Chineese community is well developped and present, as peoples from India also.
Take time to visit the old town, but take care with the traffic, as usual in Malaysia.
Peoples are kind, and you could be interrupted several time during you walk for socialize reasons. Fair and interesting most of the time.
English is well known, even if I was disturbed by the accent.
Malaysian favorite expression could be "sama sama": good for you, good for me.
The old portugese array is no more portugese. You could be also dispointed (I was), coming from Europe ie, by the famous fort (very small).
Try to visit Melaka just few days before the chineese new year : beautiful with a lot of candles and decorations.
Life is cheap, but avoid services in hotel (price x 2). Shoping is confortable
Massages are very poular here, and the foot massage is the top (I didn't try it, due to some high sensitivity in the foots!).
Here also, avoid services in hotel (~150RM) and I recommend to go in small massages houses (40-60RM).
Malaysian massages are quite soft, more relaxing. Some potential details:
- TCM could be surprizing: this is the Tradiational Chineese Massage, therapeutic, which is realy stronger and could be paintfull. Personnaly, I appreciate. References on requests.
- You're naked, so, no picture downloaded in this page:) No full sex here, even if a "massage sassi" (sex massage) could be proposed. No pb saying no.
The oldest Melaka's church is on a small hill, in the old town. If you're christian, you could be shocked by asian tourists behaviors inside this monument. A lot of "gadgets" for sale also inside.
A lot of nice and colored chinese temples, mainly in china town (Around jonker street). more travel advice
Driving in Malaysia could be at least strange for occidental peoples, but could be very dangerous, mainly with 2 wheels... more travel advice
vinc_bilb's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 9 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Top 10 Pages
- Jordan Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 73 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 6 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 3 reviews, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mont Saint Michel Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belle-Île-en-Mer Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Makati Intro, 2 reviews, 45 photos, 7 travelogues