"I CLIMBED THE GREAT WALL YEARS AGO!" Beijing by AusPinay
Beijing Travel Guide: 6,293 reviews and 15,857 photos
(Note:As everyone's talking about the Beijing Olympics( and other things related to it), I was inspired to look for my Beijing photos and talk about my trip to the great People's Republic of China.So far, I found one and I promise to scour through my collection. As the digital age wasn't around then the photo here will naturally have inferior resolution.)
One of the highlights of my trip to this nation was climbing the great wall. Btw, my China trip was sponsored by the Chinese Embassy in Manila. I, together with my media colleagues were even invited to a dinner at the opulent Embassy quarters at one of Makati's high end community!
The trip was dubbed "China familiarization tour." We had our very own English speaking tour guide. We were brought by a luxury coach to our five star hotel- Hotel Nikko Beijing, from our transfer from Xiamen Airport. Food there was fabulous-buffet brekkies and dinners.Lunches were usually at the attractions we were visiting.
Then the next day, we toured Tianamen Square with thousands of schoolkids! I also remember lining up to view the "corpse" of Chairman Mao in the Great Hall! It was eerie and weird but still a memory to cherish!(No cameras allowed here!)
Then the Forbidden City where we seem to be the only ones there surprisingly. Also the trip to the underground Tombs of the Great leaders. As it around mid-April when we were there, the hugely wide roads were lined with majestic trees in full bloom! I am not sure about the species but could be birch and even peach trees!
Another memorable sight was the millions of bikes and their riders making their way around the giant metropolis! At that time, there were about 6 million bikes in Beijing alone!It is ironic now China has become a top car using nation! If it was polluted then I cannot imagine these days really!
Towards our last few days, we saw more of the bustling city of Beijing. Also,we were brought to an exquisite Peking Duck dinner complete with duck medallions as souvenir! It was memorable for me as I never been taught how to eat this elegant meal the Chinese way! The tender morsels of duck with crispy skin on the outside was truly melt in the mouth experience!(will talk about this separately)Mind you, my maternal grandfather is Chinese!
Now back to the wall-it really looked like a huge bridge spanning from seemingly unending kilometres on end! As most know, it is visible from space and I am not surprised!
More soon I promise!
More importantly, I am really quite worried how Beijing can pull a well-organised Olympics like what Sydney (organisers) did, no offense to my Chinese mates!Plus, the Tibet situation has made me think of not really supporting this sporting event. Who knows I might still change my mind! However, democracy and justice are more vital than sport, I believe!
Cheers and thanks in advance to those who will spare their time to this post!
- Pros:efficient people, lots of natural/architectural marvels
- Cons:chaotic transport system, polluted city
- In a nutshell:This is a great trip full of natural and architectural wonders I will treasure forever!
The Olympic Green is an Olympic Park in Beijing, constructed for the 2008 Summer Olympics. The park itself, outside of... more travel advice
This is my second visit and as in the Great Wall, there are more people when we visited with my family but I enjoyed it... more travel advice
AusPinay's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- "Beijing----gives you much more than you expected!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 69 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sydney Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 130 photos
- Port Huon Intro, 29 reviews, 136 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 23 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 98 photos
- Canberra Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 17 reviews, 67 photos
- Tasmania Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos
- Milan Intro, 13 reviews, 52 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Beijing hotel reviews
- Peking International Youth Hostel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hilton Beijing
- 289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Beijing
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Beijing Hotel
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- No.161 Hostel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Zhaolong Hotel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Diaoyutai State Guesthouse Beijing
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 30, 2013
- Kingwing Hot Spring International Hotel Beijing
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2013
- China World Summit Wing
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Sofitel Wanda Beijing
- 370 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Beijing Longxi Hotspring Resort
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2013
- Hutong Inn Beijing Culture Hotel
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- East Gate Plaza Service Apartment Beijing
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2011
- Rj Brown Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 10, 2013