"Akaroa,only French Settlement in NZ(1880's)" Akaroa by AusPinay
Akaroa Travel Guide: 248 reviews and 595 photos
This town has it all- the green rolling hills, picturesque beaches, friendly locals and many more. There's something for everyone here!
We're glad it replaced Christchurch (due to the devastating quake that hit previously, sad though!) as we've been hooked by its lovely period homes, gardens and as I earlier said, scenic views everywhere you look!
It is also interesting that this places lies in the heart of a volcano formed millions of years ago. Now it is surrounded by greenery and fabulous beaches too.
Akaroa is also a former French settlement, luckily the British came to NZ first so the French never really conquered this town but then settled here in the 1880's establishing it as a whaling town. This we learned from our tour guide.
- Pros:lots of fresh air, rolling green hills, well preserved period homes ,etc
- Cons:real estate is a bit dear,not many choices for dining, no big supermarkets & malls (if you like shopping)
- In a nutshell:Akaroa is a great little town bounded by rolling hills and superb beaches!
Banks Peninsula forms the most prominent volcanic feature of the South Island. As Akaroa stands on the heart of this... more travel advice
There were hundred year old trees and plants as shown to us by our tour guide which other wise we wouldn't have known... more travel advice
AusPinay's Related Pages
Akaroa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Magic World of Banks Peninsula and Akaroa"
- "Akaroa: New Zealand's early French settlement"
- "The blissfuly beautiful Banks Peninsula"
- "ATXtraveler goes to Akaroa"
- "Akaroa & Banks Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akaroa
- Hotels in Akaroa
- Transportation in Akaroa
- Nightlife in Akaroa
- Restaurants in Akaroa
- Shopping in Akaroa
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaroa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akaroa
- 10 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Akaroa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaroa
Photos in AkaroaSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 69 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Sydney Intro, 61 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 130 photos
- Port Huon Intro, 29 reviews, 136 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 23 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hobart Intro, 26 reviews, 98 photos
- Canberra Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 17 reviews, 67 photos
- Tasmania Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos
- Milan Intro, 13 reviews, 52 photos