"RICHMOND" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by alyf1961
Richmond Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 108 photos
Richmond is a market town in North Yorkshire. It sits on the River Swale and is close to the Yorkshire Dales National park.
I visited Richmond in April 2013. I joined the English Heritage (£48 for a year’s membership) and I had a wonderful afternoon exploring the castle. I also visited the Green Howards Museum.
Known locally for its market place (the largest in England) and its beautiful castle. Richmond was founded in 1071 after William the Conqueror gave land in the country to friends and helpers of his after his invasion of England. The castle was built 1086.
It is also the home of the Green Howards, a British military regiment that has been based here since 1873. Lewis Carroll (writer of Alice in Wonderland) attended school here and Lord Baden-Powell (founder of the boy scouts movement) also lived here.
alyf1961's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Right Yorkshire Gem"
- "Gateway to Swaledale"
- "Richmond on Swale."
- "BIRCHY DRIVES PAST RICHMOND"
- "Richmond - Englands best Georgian town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 156 reviews, 438 photos, 16 travelogues
- London Intro, 98 reviews, 299 photos, 13 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 129 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos
- Sibiu Intro, 20 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bradford Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 30 reviews, 43 photos
- Manchester Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skipton Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos