New York City Things to Do Tips by clueless83

New York City Things to Do: 5,442 reviews and 8,950 photos

Not a v. good photo but Times Square all the same - New York City

Not a v. good photo but Times Square all the same

Neon jungle Times Square Review

Even though you've seen it on tv nothing beats the first time you step out into Times Square. I made my way out of the subway station and all I could say was "Wow!". Sure, real New Yorkers don't go there, I'd probably be the same if I was a New Yorker but I'm a tourist and Times Square is very touristy.

We wandered about, took photos, although its a shame that I didn't have my slr camera back then (oh looks like when I'm rich I will just have to revisit! haha!) I don't remember what else we did there but we did visit Virgin Megastore which I was surprised to see was open til 2am!

Times Square is just EXCITING!

Directions: 42nd Street, Brodway & 7th avenue

Memorial - New York City

Memorial

Ground Zero Ground Zero - World Trade Center Review

Everyone remembers where they were on September 11th 2001.

Ground Zero is now partially a memorial and partially a building site once where the twin towers stood. Some people may consider visiting Ground Zero a little tasteless considering the tragedy of its circumstances but for as long as it remains how it was the day when I went there then there is no problem with people paying their respects.

Unlike the rest of NYC, Ground Zero was respectfully quiet - there were plenty of people milling about but the sheer enormity of what occurred here left many people in silent contemplation. I remember noticing some information, photos and drawings of the twin towers and how they compared to another building nearby - the building nearby was huge so it was very difficult for me to imagine the scale of the towers.

Outside the Friends apartment - New York City

Outside the Friends apartment

Television and Movie Tours! TV & Movie Tours - Landmarks Review

One of my favourite things that I did in New York was to take a tv and movie tour around the city. The company we went with, On Location Tours, offer a variety of themed tours (Sex & the City, The Sopranos etc) but we chose the New York TV & Movie sites tour.

The tours last 3-3.5hrs and it is advised to book in advance. I'd read about the tours in a Lonely Planet guide and then when I was catching the ferry to the Statue of Liberty I found a leaflet about the tours. The leaflet, however, contained incorrect pick-up information so I had to ring the company to find out the correct pick-up point (see the website link below for more info).

I went in 2004 so the tour is probably slightly different to when I went but some of the things we saw were: The Ghostbusters fire station, Outside Monica's apartment in Friends, a diner used in Men In Black, building from Will & Grace, the real Coyote Ugly bar...

Some locations were just pointed out to us on the bus, other locations we were able to get off the bus and take photos. The guides are very knowledgable and entertaining. Our guide was a huge Friends fan and gave us a Friends quiz.

See my photos or the website for more details.

• Updated Apr 30, 2010
Guess who? - New York City

Guess who?

Statue of Liberty Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island Review

It was a while ago and as this is one of the more popular attractions I'll keep it brief.

We caught the ferry over to the island but unfortunately for us we were unable to go up the statue as I think they were still being cautious regarding September 11. The Statue is fantastic and iconic so its great to take pictures of it (where as with the Empire State Building I felt it was better to take pictures FROM it).

I remember there was a shop where I could buy little shot glasses with models of the ESB and Statue of Liberty inside. One of my friends put a face mask on and held up a torch pretending to be Lady Liberty!

Would love to one day return in better weather and with a better camera. I just love how iconic this statue is! Fantastic!

Directions: South Ferry at Battery Park - Take the #5 train to Bowling Green or #1 to South Ferry

View from the Empire State Building - New York City

View from the Empire State Building

Empire State of mind Empire State Building Review

Chances are if you're visiting the Big Apple then you're going to want to visit the Empire State building.

Personally (I'm sure some would disagree) I didn't find the Empire State Building very impressive from the outside - I saw it and thought "is that it?" it was alot smaller than I imagined. Going inside is different though, the entrance is quite grand but the views are even better.

We went quite late at night in the hope of beating some of the mad day time queues. Its really windy up there but the photos you will get will be great. I just wish I had my slr camera at the time!

Address: 350 5th Avenue

Directions: 1, 2, 3 or 9 (Seventh Avenue Lines), A, C or E (Eighth Avenue Subway) to 34th Street/Penn Station.

Phone: (212) 947-1360

Website: http://www.esbnyc.com/

• Updated Apr 30, 2010
Thirsty squirrel - New York City

Thirsty squirrel

HUGE! Central Park Review

I won't bore you with facts and history about Central Park but don't underestimate the size of this place! We tried to find the zoo and actually couldn't (I guess we weren't looking hard enough).

Nice place for a picnic if the weather is good but unfortunately we went in freezing cold March/April so only walked through. My boyfriend and I did take a lovely horse and carriage ride though which I have written a separate tip about. Would love to come back in the summer.

Oh and the squirrels are entertaining, we saw them drinking from puddles, chasing each other around trees and *ahem* mating - which seemed to draw a crowd hahaha!

Address: Central Park S & 7th Ave New York, NY 10019

Website: http://www.centralpark.org/

• Written Apr 26, 2010
The Guggenheim - New York City

The Guggenheim

Disappointing Guggenheim Museum Review

As we were in NYC with our art college, it was expected that we should visit at least one gallery during our stay. We chose the Guggenheim as some people I was travelling with enjoyed the Bilbao one, and in my opinion, I think that the time we spent in NY Guggenheim would have been better spent elsewhere.

I can appreciate art, I studied it, but the exhibits at the time we visited were, in a word, rubbish. I did not pay all that money to get in and just look at some flies stuck to the wall (seriously thats what one of the "pieces" was). At least at the Tate Modern in London if you don't like it then you haven't wasted your money.

The best part of the Guggenheim for me was a coca cola and a hotdog from the stall outside.

Address: 1071 5th Avenue (at 89th Street)

Directions: To reach the museum by subway, take the 4, 5, or 6 train to 86th Street. Walk west on 86th Street, turn right at 5th Avenue and proceed north to 88th Street.

Phone: (212) 423-3500

Website: http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york

• Written Apr 26, 2010
Bruno the horse and our driver - New York City

Bruno the horse and our driver

Horse and Carriage Ride Central Park - Horse Carriage Review

For true romantics, make like Carrie and Big with a horse and carriage ride around Central Park. Its not the cheapest thing to do but if you're with your beloved you won't regret it. We were in NYC on a college trip which included 7 of our classmates (among a coach load of randoms) so it was nice for me and my boyfriend to get some alone time.

We chose the cheapest option (and shortest ride) but unfortunately I can't remember how long the ride was for or how much it cost but you will see plenty of horses parked up in Central Park and outside The Plaza Hotel if you wish to enquire.

We had a lovely foreign driver who was luckily a good honest type because my boyfriend left his bag in the back of the carriage and when we came back later to retrieve it the man remembered us and kept it safe for us.

Directions: Head to Central Park

• Written Apr 13, 2009

clueless83

“Fairy Dust and Wander Lust”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City