"Sunny Costa del Sol" Marbella by lifeisatrip

Marbella Travel Guide: 568 reviews and 2,067 photos

Rain, rain go away!

One of the brochures I read of Costa del Sol boasted of 360 days of sunshine. It rained for three days while we were there and this was in February, so you folks out there, the chances of rain if you go to Costa del Sol anytime this year is only two days for the rest of the year. Lucky you!

Carnival Parade in Marbella

We happened to be in Marbella when the city had their Carnival Parade. It was, I was told, similar to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I haven't been to New Orleans so I can't agree nor disagree. But it is similar to the Fasching parades in Germany, although this one was more of a happy event, setting a mood of gaiety. In Germany, people dressed up as witches, ghouls, and other scary-looking creatures, not so in this one.

There were many children spectators dressed up for the parade as well; almost like for Halloween in the US.

Puerto Banus - The life of the Rich and Famous

We were not there to be seen; definitely NOT in our rented Ford Focus, brand new it may have been.

So much wealth in such a little area. Expensive cars and boats/yatchs . . . And I thought I saw a lot of the same when we lived in Castine, Maine, where Mrs. "Intel" used to come to attend board meetings at the Main Maritime Academy . . . . not even a fraction.

Walking around, I began to wonder why we were there posing for pictures next to one or two of the many expensive cars or boats that do not belong to us. Then I posed this question to my hubby:

Me: Did we come here to make us feel inadequate?
My husband: I brought you here to put things in perspective. Lucky that you can travel and be in awe at what you can NOT have. But you have me and that is better and more important than any of these.
Me: Huh?!?

"Come", he said, "I'll buy you an expensive lunch!" And he did not lie; 10 small-size prawns for €40+. Ouch! At least the butter for the bread was free of charge . . . at least we thought it was.

• Last visit to Marbella: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2008

Comments

lifeisatrip

“Going through life with eyes wide open”

Badges & Stats in Marbella

Have you been to Marbella?

Latest Activity in Marbella