"The Mountains of Zambales" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Zambales by scarletf
Province of Zambales Travel Guide: 571 reviews and 2,282 photos
Nobody expected that this mountain would explode like an angry man taking its revenge. It was June of 1991 when it happened. I was on the comfort of my home. Taking a rest after a very tiring high school activity. I remembered a typhoon hit Luzon that time and it was raining hard. I noticed that the house is shaking. It was an earthquake! Then, suddenly I heard from the news that a mountain exploded. I asked my father again. “Pa, bundok? Sumabog?” (A mountain exploded? Is that true?) After a few hours, it was very dark. It’s like nighttime while it was just 4:00 in the afternoon. The rain stopped but still a lot people wondering why it was dark. Nighttime has passed and when I was about to prepare myself going to school, I got a very bad colds. I was sneezing to death. When I opened the windows, it was all white! Wondered what it was, I went out and my nose got worse. Then, my parents told me that’s ash fall. I got shocked and asked them if the mountain that exploded was near Metro Manila and they told me that it’s not. Whew! I felt relieved.
I became interested on what had happened and I researched on it. I found out that the mountain that exploded is Mount Pinatubo. Not a regular mountain in Zambales but it’s a dormant volcano. 600 years ago, it exploded and after a very long sleep… it woke up. Unfortunately, a lot of people died and suffered because of this. It was considered the 2nd largest volcanic eruption of the 20th century. Millions of tons of sulfur dioxide were discharged into the atmosphere, resulting in a decrease in the temperature worldwide over the next few years. The typhoon that hit luzon also made a contribution why the ashes were scattered in a very vast area. I believe those ashes went to a near country also. For complete information about the volcanic eruption, please click here
scarletf's Related Pages
Province of Zambales Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Camping in Anawangin Cove"
- "Hiking Up Mt Anawangin Down to the Cove"
- "Zambales as Eco-Tourism Paradise"
- "The Mountains of Zambales"
- "Mango Country"
- "Zambales... they have also nice beaches..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Zambales
- Hotels in Province of Zambales
- Transportation in Province of Zambales
- Nightlife in Province of Zambales
- Restaurants in Province of Zambales
- Shopping in Province of Zambales
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Zambales
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Zambales
- 1 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Province of Zambales?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Zambales
Photos in Province of ZambalesSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Province of Bohol Intro, 4 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Camiguin Island Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Tangalan Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Province of Pampanga Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasig Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Zambales Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Sarangani Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Province of Palawan Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos