"I want to be an adopted Ghanaian!" Greater Accra Region by ghanascouse

Greater Accra Region Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 786 photos

I want to go to Africa!

Hi fellow travellers!
I have to be honest, I don't travel often, although I went to France yearly with my family when I was younger.
Aside from Europe, the only place I have been to is Ghana, and I really love it.
It started in 2006. I decided once I'd finished uni, I'd see the world, so I searched online for 'volunteer Africa' and booked a place with a volunteer travel organisation. They brought me to Ghana and briefed me and it was amazing.
I was there 3 months and it was as I came to the final month I realised my 'trip of a lifetime' wasn't going to be enough.

Local Ghana

With being on a placement at an Orphanage, I didn't really see much of the country, although I feel I got a good idea of the people and everyday life.
I lived with a family in Kasoa, on the outskirts of Accra, which annoyingly is such a 'new town' I couldn't locate it on ANY maps.
In this tiny town, I experienced local food, transport, people, church, Internet Cafes, and local trades. It is so different to life at home and I really soaked it up.
But I was devastated to leave and almost as soon as i returned I'd booked my next trip. No self control...

Tourist Ghana

This time around, I was only there for 2 weeks, but free of responsibility, i lived like a tourist.
I stayed with my boyfriend, in the 'house' (2 small rooms) he had just secured, and he accompanied me to Accra, visiting the Cultural Centre and a nearby bar by the sea, local villages to visit his family and friends, and then we had a day in Cape Coast with my friend, seeing all the sights.
Eating outonly once, I loved going to the local vendors to buy the ingredients for breakfast every morning, and learning the lingo needed to speak to various people in the village - all of course speaking a different language!
This recent trip is by far the best, but I think I'm hooked and am already making plans to return!

• Pros:Being greeted by strangers, just because; the endless appreciatiation and celebration for everything they have, compared to us miserable whingers at home;
  • Cons:The mosquitoes; nowhere quiet to sit alone;
  • In a nutshell:Completely unique - friendly, independent and SO patriotic.
  • Last visit to Greater Accra Region: Oct 2007
  • Intro Written Jan 10, 2008

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Greater Accra Region

Have you been to Greater Accra Region?

Latest Activity in Greater Accra Region