"I'm getting more and more attached to this city" Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham by raquelitalarga
Nottingham Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 819 photos
Nottingham escaped heavy bombing during the Second World War due to a decoy system just outside the city. (You can find out all about this if you visit the exhibition at Nottingam castle or the city museum). This is why Nottingham is more attractive than many British cities! Hunt out the, mainly Victorian buildings (Watson Fothergill one of my favourite architects lived and died in the city). The river Trent means a lot of good beer is brewed locally so seek out traditional real ale pubs.
Wollaton Hall Park is Nottingham's best! It's quite near the university,easily accessible from the centre. It has... an Elizabethan hall (a bit shabby), an industrial museum, cafe, golf course, a lake, fallow and red deer, sensory garden, a restored hothouse and regularly hosts 'events' such as fun runs or photographic exhibitions.
This is the biggest market square in Britain apparently. There's no market (except a monthly farmer's market and a Christmas market) but has a lot of musical and cultural 'events'. A great location for people watching as there are stone seats on the sunny side. In summer a 'beach' is created and in winter a popular ice rink is set up. The goth and 'emo' crowd hang out around the city hall steps (seem to need to hug someone every two minutes) and at the other end the 'water jets', on the new water feature, attract kids and adults alike.
- Pros:Shops, pubs, parks, cultural events, central location
- Cons:Poor evening bus service and crime in some areas
- In a nutshell:Lots to do for a long weekend
Every summer the Old Market Square is fiiled with sand, there's a pool to paddle in and deckchairs to relax in. It's... more travel advice
I always warn visitors that the castle wall is all that remains of the original fortification , don't expect something... more travel advice
- See All Be sensible
- Goose Fair
- See All Calverton Roses
- See All Charity bookshop
raquelitalarga's Related Pages
Nottingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ Nottingham ~"
- "CITY THAT NEVER STOPS !"
- "Introducing Nottingham!!! (Home)"
- "I'm getting more and more attached to this city"
- "A thriving University City"
- "The real Midlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nottingham
- Hotels in Nottingham
- Transportation in Nottingham
- Nightlife in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Shopping in Nottingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Nottingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nottingham
- 27 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Nottingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nottingham
Top 10 Pages
- Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos
- Southwell Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Lincoln Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos
- Astorga Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination León Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tossa Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Criccieth Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Bakewell Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
No friends yet.