"Golden City by the bay." San Francisco by swissfondue
San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,131 reviews and 19,433 photos
Considering it is the 12th most populous city in the United States San Francisco has an abundance of "small city"charm.
Sure its busy and in some locations jam packed with tourists but it has a wonderful vibe, a quirkiness, an aura about it that makes this city stand out from its peers.
San Francisco is blessed with breaktaking geographical features and when you have a particular strength it makes sense to promote it. And San Francisco does this very well.
The city thrives on its uniqueness. It draws you in at every turn. Its a city built on hills, everybody knows that. But it delivers so much more.
Where else would one find steep rolling hills a joy to walk up however slowly. Where else would one find a summer fog coupled with a chilling wind invigorating. Where else would one find a 40 minute wait to ride a bone rattling open air cable car acceptable, even enjoyable.
Who else has the Golden Gate Recreation area which would have to be one of the most attractive public spaces in the country...even the world.
Who has the most eclectic mix of stunning architecture and equally eclectic residents.
San Francisco ticks all the boxes.
Then dont miss out on:
Riding a cable car. Its expensive but fun and its great listening to the driver yell at non-conforming tourists.
Check out the Painted Ladies in Alamo Square. Its the money shot of SF.
Stroll around the Haight Ashbarry precinct for some fabulous photo ops. The homes in these areas are simply stunning.
Check out Chinatown. Its one of the largest in the USA.
Eat crab at Fishermans Wharf. Yes, it is touristy, yes its full of tacky souvenirs, but there are some interesting attractions ie the Maritime National Historical Park and the crab tastes divine.
Tour Alcatraz. It only takes an hour and it would be a shame to pass up seeing such an iconic attraction that is visited by 1.5million people per year.
Photograph famously crooked Lombard Street. If you are very energetic walk up.
Take a ferry ride to Sausalito for lunch in a trendy restaurant and great views of the San Francisco skyline.
And dont miss ANY opportunity to have a drink in the many Irish pubs scattered about the city. Mixing with the locals is a great way to soak up all the atmosphere San Francisco has to offer.
Alcatraz Island in the center of San Francisco Bay is one of America's most interesting National Parks. Here are some... more travel advice
swissfondue's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: restaurants"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Useful things to know before you visit Alcatraz Is"
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "Golden City by the bay."
- Wrote a Review Useful things to know before you visit Alcatraz Is about Alcatraz in San Francisco Things to Do
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 137 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Ireland Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hobart Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Dublin Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Mill Valley Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos