"Macau" Macao by swissfondue
Macao Travel Guide: 1,978 reviews and 6,112 photos
Macau is a special administrative region (SAR) of the Peoples Republic of China but is also a former Portugese colony giving tourists visiting Macau's historic city centre a facinating blend of Chinese and Portugese influences together with some wonderful food choices.
The economy is largely reliant on tourism combined with gambling. Macau is home to many world class resorts and entertainment complexes, most notably the Venetian Macau which has the distinction of being the largest casino complex in the world.
There is however much more to Macau than gambling. Its centre alone is worth seeing for its beautiful World Heritage listed cathedral ruins (St Pauls), A-Ma temple, Guia Fort and European classical architecture.
Although not as extensive as Hong Kong, the cobblestoned streets leading off Senado Square offers shoppers the opportunity to find some good bargains. You can pay for purchases in Hong Kong dollars but will receive change in the local currency (Pataca or MOP).
Macau has excellent transport connections and tourists and gamblers flock to the island daily by air, ferry and road. Day trips from Hong Kong (less than 1 hr away by TurboJet) are popular and worthwhile if time is limited.
swissfondue's Related Pages
Macao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IMPREXXION: MACAU"
- "Bem-Vindo a Macau - Welcome to Macau"
- "Macau - former Portuguese Colony"
- "Portuguese Heritage"
- "aramat's new Macao Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macao
- Hotels in Macao
- Transportation in Macao
- Nightlife in Macao
- Restaurants in Macao
- Shopping in Macao
- Warnings and Dangers in Macao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macao
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Macao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macao
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 138 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Ireland Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hobart Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Dublin Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Mill Valley Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos