"Welcome to my favourite city in the world" Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong by swissfondue

Hong Kong Travel Guide: 8,370 reviews and 20,332 photos

Thanks for rating my tips!

I'm thrilled to be recognised as a top 5 travel writer for my favourite city and if you visit my pages you'll see why I return frequently to amazing and wonderful Hong Kong.

This dynamic city certainly punches above it's weight and does so mostly with great efficiency. I'm an admirer of "chaotic organisation" and I see it everywhere in Hong Kong. The MTR (Mass Transit Railway) is just one example of an easy to use, cost effective, safe and incredibly convenient transport system. When you first encounter the frantic activity it does make you wonder how it can work so efficiently, but it does!

Hong Kong's other great asset is CHOICE. Walk down any street at any time and it seems like the majority of its seven million inhabitants are out and about going somewhere. This is accentuated by early evening when they ALL are, spoilt by the choice of so many eating, shopping and entertainment venues. The crowds, the noise and the millions of neon lights make the atmosphere electric.

Hong Kong is somewhere I could definitely live for a period of time. The air pollution levels are off the scale somedays and maybe its too overpopulated but these are small concessions that I could personally live with. Hong Kong is simply the gifted offspring of a successful arranged marriage between East and West and although it may seem highly unlikely for it to be peaceful and reflective it certainly can be, and you will be surprised how close to the heart of the city these pockets of serenity are positioned and enjoyed.

After numerous visits I have yet to run out of new experiences. Each time I return there is somewhere new and fresh to explore. I'm blessed to have the opportunity to learn about the people shaping the city by living in it. The same cultural and geographical division of rich and poor seen in every prosperous city is also evident in Hong Kong but it never ceases to amaze and delight me that politeness and patience is shown everyday.

While many people think of Hong Kong as just a stop-over city, the more time you allow yourself the more you become immersed in the lifestyle and especially the culture. While there is plenty to entertain shopaholics, there is so much more to Hong Kong than leaving with a bag of bargains. Try to venture if you can away from the Harbour and the tourist areas of Tsim Sha Tsui and Central into the outlying areas of the New Territories and you will certainly experience everyday life with all its wonderful local sights and sounds.

What a skyline !

Not matter which area of Hong Kong you are in, the streets will be thronging with people. However the heart of the city is Victoria Harbour which both divides and connects Kowloon and Hong Kong Island.

Aside from the Peak, I would think that the Harbour is one of the most photographed attractions in Hong Kong and if you are lucky enough to be there on a clear day the views, especially of the Hong Kong Island skyline are quite spectacular. The harbour is also the stage for a nightly laser light show called The Symphony of Lights which atracts thousands of people to the Kowloon harbourside each evening. Please see my "things to do" tips for information on the Symphony of Lights.

Though renowned as a tourist attraction Victoria Harbour is essentially a working harbour and forms part of the busiest port in the world.

The Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB)

If you havent found all the information you need from VT Travel Guides, then the Hong Kong Tourism Board may be able to assist you. They provide comprehensive information at their visitor centre located in the arrivals hall of Hong Kong Airport. In the city there are two more Visitor Centres, one in Kowloon in Tsim Sha Tsui and the other on Hong Kong Island at the Peak. The TST centre is open from 8am to 8pm daily and the Peak centre is open from 9am to 9pm daily. The HKTB is a great tool for tourists needing extra information about what to see and do in Hong Kong. They also have phone apps which could come in useful if you like using your phone to find your way around so check out their city walks app, virtual tour guide app and Discover Hong Kong app. I havent used any but I understand that they are FREE.

The HKTB has also created a Cultural Kaleidoscope programme aimed at giving tourists opportunities to experience Hong Kong in a more personal way. Find out how to sail on Victoria Harbour on the Duk Ling or be introduced to the art of Tai Chi in my "things to do" tips. The HKTB also runs the Quality Tourism Services Scheme (QTS). If you see a gold and black QTS sign in a shop, restaurant or hotel it means that the establishment has met the accreditation criteria to become a quality service provider.

• Pros:Efficiency makes the city function so successfully.
  • Cons:None in my opinion except maybe the humidity during summer. I could live there happily.
  • In a nutshell:Without doubt one of the world's most exciting and liveable cities.
  • Last visit to Hong Kong: Mar 2014
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2014

• jayjayc's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

My most favorite as well and can't wait to be back! Cheers!

• cal6060's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Great Page, so much detail information about HK! You are truly known the city well. I must read your tip before I go to HK the next time!

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Thanks, I'm in Hong Kong at least twice a year so all my info is quite up-to-date. Hope you'll be back to Hong Kong sooner rather than later. Heidi :)

• cal6060's Profile Photo
      Nov 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

: )

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Great page

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Thanks Jim. I really enjoy sharing what I know about Hong Kong. It's an amazing city to spend time in. kind regards Heidi

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Hi Cathy, Thank you for describing and rating my Hong Kong pages in such a lovely way. I have been fortunate to travel to some wonderful locations around the world, but after my first trip to Hong Kong in 2005 I knew straightaway that I would return. And I have done so seven times, most recently three months ago. I enjoy passing on all the things I have learned and experienced, and if just one person finds my suggestions have helped them to enjoy Hong Kong in the same way I do, then it is all worthwhile. Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Heidi :-)

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Wow, what an amazing page Heidi - clearly quite a labour of love that conveys your love of the city! Clearly you travel there often - business or pleasure?

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Enjoyed your off the beaten path tips & others Heide. Had a week in HK May 1977 and returned twice during 2007, many changes in 30 years, but still good to visit. Interested in out of the way tips, not Kowloon type attractions, think we may take a cruise 2014, commence Shanghai and finish HK, stay on for 3 or 4 days and visit areas of HK we have never seen.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thanks Mike. Hong Kong and I have been in love for some time now. Heidi :)

• HebaM's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Your shopping reviews are impressive! hats off...very informative and useful :)

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2012 at 5:14 AM

A really comprehensive and thorough page on an amazing part of the world. And if I ever need some birds , flowers or goldfish - I now know where to find them!!

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Thanks Grant for checking out my HK page. Hong Kong and I are madly in love and have been since my first trip 6 years ago.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM

great details and useful interesting tips/reminders for one who has visited HK on multiple occasions ;-)))

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM

As my new friend I thought to look at your pages....and I have never been to Hong kong

swissfondue Visits Here Frequently!

swissfondue

“Climb Every Mountain or just walk up a small hill. With every step you are seeing the world!”

Badges & Stats in Hong Kong

Have you been to Hong Kong?

Latest Activity in Hong Kong