"Picture Paris in your mind then go there" Paris by swissfondue
Paris Travel Guide: 22,707 reviews and 56,112 photos
The Eiffel Tower is one of the most well known structures in the world. It was originally built as the entrance for the World's Fair in 1889. It is named after Gustave Eiffel, the engineer who designed it.
The Eiffel Tower is made of iron and weighs around 10000 tonnes. Every 7 years the tower is painted to protect it from rust.
Two hundred and fifty million visitors have climbed the tower (either by stairs or lift) since its opening. You can climb the stairs to the first two levels (I have done this so only a minimal level of fitness is required). The third and highest level can only be accessed by the lift. Personally I like the daytime vista the best. Paris is absolutely laid out before your eyes.
The iconic design has been recreated around the world. Probably the most well known is the half size replica at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas.
Each evening on the hour the Eiffel Tower "twinkles". Make sure to take the time to see this as it can only be described as breathtaking.
swissfondue's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "The charm of Paris stays in its History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 48 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 138 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Ireland Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hobart Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Dublin Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Mill Valley Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos