"Kotka" Kotka by Jarra
Kotka Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 48 photos
Kotka is located in south-east Finland on the Gulf of Finland. Its name, Kotka, was mentioned as far back as 500 years ago, referring to fishermen`s fishing grouds and as the name of a meadow island. Maybe the name was given after a great bird, the eagle, which soared above the iskand defending its nest, or maybe it was the first inhabitant of the island who named it after himself. The sea brought new people into Kotka, including Hans Gutzeit. He gazed around him, seeing the river and knowing the vast forest areas with their straigh-stemmed trees further inland, and also seeing the force of the river carrying logs. He saw a harbour offering easy access for ships. The town was founded in 1878 and the population is now about 56 000. Kotka has the biggest export port in Finland.
Kotkansaari island is the heart of the areally extensive City of Kotka.
FC KooTeePee (formely KTP est. 1927 and Kotkan Tp est. 1998), a Finnish elite league football team, plays its home... more travel advice
This is a comfortable hotel in the centre of seaside town Kotka. Rooms are spacy and well-equipped, including... more travel advice
Jarra's Related Pages
Kotka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Herttuli's new Kotka Page"
- "Kotka busstation only"
- "Kotka Page"
- "Eagletje's Kotka Page"
- "KaljaMaha's new Kotka page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kotka
- Hotels in Kotka
- Transportation in Kotka
- Nightlife in Kotka
- Restaurants in Kotka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kotka
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kotka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kotka
Photos in KotkaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Helsinki Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Berlin Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mariehamn Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Iisalmi Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Geelong Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Espoo Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos