"The Capital of Aland" Top 5 Page for this destination Mariehamn by Jarra
Mariehamn Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 91 photos
The summer town Mariehamn is the capital of autonomous Aland. Aland is a demilitarised Swedish-speaking region with a right of self-government secured through international guarentees. Also in everyday life you can quite easily see many marks of its autonomous status. Aland has it own flag, own stamp, own license plate and so on. The current population of Aland is 26200. The population of Mariehamn is 10600.
A youthful town, Mariehamn was founded in 1861 while Aland and Finland formed part of the mighty Russian Empire. Maria, consort of Czar Alexander II of Russia, gave the town her name. Nowadays Mariehamn is a small-scale city with well-developed services for visitors. A town with a varied sporting and cultural life and pleasant green oases. The town has a large number of shops in relation to its size. In summer an almost Continental atmosphere reigns in Torggatan, the foremost (and only) shopping street.
Maritime town is a very suitable name for Mariehamn. Alanders have always been seafarers, and Aland cargo shipping received an impetus after 1850, when Aland ships became larger and larger, and their voyages longer and longer. Modern shipping flourishes in Mariehamn, where many shipping companies have their offices, specializing in passenger services, carriage of goods and international tanker trade. Almost 1,5 million people a year come to Aland, most of them arriving by one of the ferries at the Western Harbour of Mariehamn.
- Pros:Small, everything easily accessible by foot
- In a nutshell:Small world of its own
The castle, which originally was used as a defence stronghold, was founded in the end of the 1300's. The stronghold was... more travel advice
Cafe La Strada is located next to the pedestrian street in the centre of Mariehamn. Here pizza, salads, hamburgers, A la... more travel advice
Jarra's Related Pages
Mariehamn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perfect summer place"
- "The Capital of Aland"
- "Mariehamn - Castles and Countryside"
- "A day in Mariehamn"
- "Maarianhamina the capital of Åland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mariehamn
- Hotels in Mariehamn
- Transportation in Mariehamn
- Nightlife in Mariehamn
- Restaurants in Mariehamn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mariehamn
- 10 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mariehamn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mariehamn
Photos in MariehamnSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Helsinki Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Berlin Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mariehamn Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Iisalmi Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Geelong Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Espoo Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos