"Berlin - something for everyone" Berlin by Jarra
Berlin Travel Guide: 7,026 reviews and 15,898 photos
Potsdamer Platz is perhaps the most visible symbol of the "new Berlin". It is also a major tourist attraction. During the 1920s, the Potsdamer Platz was the busiest crossroads in Europe. In 1924 Europe`s first traffic light was installed here. World War II sucked all life out of Potsdamer Platz. In 1990s, after the wall was collapsed, the Potsdamer Platz started its growth back into the centrepoint of the city.
All over the Berlin you can find memories of the painful past. The World War II and the cold war has left scars to this city. Some of the marks are there on purpose. We should remember what happened then and pay our tribute to victims of war and terror. We also should learn from the past and not make same mistakes again.
Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche is one of the marks of war in Berlin. The Memorial Church was built in 1895 by Wilhelm II in honor of his garndfather Kaiser Wilhelm I. The Church was destroyed in 1943 by allied bombs, leaving only the west tower standing. The west tower is one of Berlin`s most haunting and enduring landmarks.
Althoug Berlin is a very modern and busy city you can also find some not so modern suburbs. Hansaplatz is a good example of the ugly architecture that you can experience in almost any big city.
- Pros:Lively with good public transport
- Cons:Long distances within the city
- In a nutshell:Something for everyone
Football (soccer) is the most popular sports in Germany. The Bundesliga is one of the most competitive leagues in the... more travel advice
Berlin has a highly efficient public transport system. So don`t hesitate to use public transport when you are traveling... more travel advice
Jarra's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
Top 10 Pages
- Helsinki Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Berlin Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mariehamn Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Iisalmi Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Geelong Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Espoo Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos