"ERBACH IS OLD & PRETTY!" Erbach by balhannah
Erbach Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 33 photos
LOCATED IN ODENWALD - DISTRICT OF HESSE
The "Odenwald" I had come to like!
It is an area of forests and rolling hills, castles, churches and medieval towns.
It is a beautiful area, and there are some interesting Legend's to read about.
One is about Siegfried, the hero of the German poem “Das Nibelungenlied,” who was supposedly murdered by Hagen — stabbed in the back as he drank at a spring.
Two Odenwald towns still argue over whose spring it was where the evil deed took place!
The roads have legendary names.......
One is named after the legend where two giants stood on opposite hills throwing boulders at each other until one was buried beneath the rocks.
Erbach, Was the center for ivory carving in Germany
When the hunting of elephants and the sale of their tusks were prohibited, most of the carving shops closed.
A huge find of mammoth tusks led to a resurgence of the ivory carving craft, and most new items for sale today are from the extinct animal.
The German Ivory Museum, in Erbach, presents carving demonstrations daily.
I didn't see the Ivory Museum, have only seen photo's.
If you have finished reading these page's, and would like to continue the journey through Germany with me, please click on the Town below
- Pros:Could have spent more time here!
- In a nutshell:Great Old Town!
The Einhard Basilica is located close to Michelstadt at Steinbach. We were lucky that Ingrid [Trekki] new about this... more travel advice
Now, we have just seen the Church and I didn't want to go back the same way, so I headed along two street's, the... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Erbach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ERBACH IS OLD & PRETTY!"
- "Erbach: home of happiness and... Kasimir :)"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Erbach
- 9 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (221)
Have you been to Erbach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erbach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue