"DRUMHELLER - Where Dinosaurs once roamed" Top 5 Page for this destination Drumheller by balhannah

Drumheller Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 205 photos

A very different landscape

Drumheller is situated in the Canadian Badlands, a 90 minute drive from Calgary.

On approaching the town, we noticed the landscape change dramaticaly.

It was entirely different to anything we had ever seen before. Dry, layer upon layer of different colour.

We had booked into a B&B at Munson, so this meant that we had time to explore this area, I was so glad we had the time.

We visited two canyons, Horsethief and Horseshoe Canyon, saw amazing Hoodoos, which are creations of sandstone that has been sculptured by wind and rain.

Drumheller is also the home of the World's largest Dinosaur, one which you can climb up inside for views, and the information centre is located here too!

The Royal Tyrell Museum on Dinosaur's, would have to be one of the best Museum's I have ever been to, and it was so reasonably priced, what a great deal!

We enjoyed a good meal at Flintstones [appropriate name], and altogether, had a wonderful time in Drumheller and the surrounding Badlands.

Expect to see hundred's of Oil wells in this area.

• Pros:Different interesting scenery to elsewhere
  • In a nutshell:You feel like you are on Mars
  • Last visit to Drumheller: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2010

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I wish i would have had time to visit the dinosour museum and kannasakis. I just didn't have enough time to do it right. Looking at your pictures i was amazed at the similarity to this site I saw in argentina that also yielded an especially rich find of very old dinosours, the landscape was eerily similar:) Small world eh.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2010 at 4:12 AM

I spent one day in Drumheller during the summer I spent in Alberta, we visited the Royal Tyrrell Museum, an abandoned mine, saw the hoodoos and Horseshoe Canyon... had I known there was so much to do there, I would have stayed longer!

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 2:53 AM

Anne and really loved The Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology. We visited the museum in 1999 and I have never forgotten the hoodoos or the museum.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Drumheller

Have you been to Drumheller?