"Beautiful LILLOOET" Lillooet by balhannah
Lillooet Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 42 photos
But Wow!.......It is beautiful around here!
This town is located in such a spectaular setting,......................
....... amongst spectacular scenery including..............................
... valleys, lakes, canyons, mountains, gorges, fraser river,.......
.... plus the wildlife and history,..................................................
this would have to be one of my favourite areas in British Columbia!
They say, Lillooet, is British Columbia's best kept secret, and I really think it is!
Hardly another car on the roads, I think we may have been the only tourist wandering the Town's streets.
It is within easy driving distance of Vancouver, Whistler, Kamloops and the Fraser Valley, but the journey is slow because of the windy mountainous roads.
In 1860, the town was the 2nd largest North American centre west of Chicago, behind San Francisco, really hard to believe when we saw the size of it today!
Lillooet is a paradise for locals and tourists alike!
I thought the "Bridge of 23 Camels" was an unusual name for a bridge, so upon some research, I found it was named after the 23 camels that were shipped there from San Francisco in 1862 for the price of $300.
The Camels were meant to replace the stubborn Mules.
They were effecient, but had bad tempers, bad feet and bad odour, so the scheme didn't succeed.
The towns folk named the bridge in their memory.
Want more information? Check out the website....
- In a nutshell:Outstanding scenery!
Duffey Lake Provincial Park has a very pretty Duffey Lake as its centre piece. We came across this lake on our drive... more travel advice
The Museum is in Lillooet township at St. Mary the Virgin, a former Anglican church. Unfortunately for us, it was... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Lillooet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lillooet...Mile 0 of the Gold Rush Trail"
- "Wide Open Spaces, Beautiful Country"
- "Beautiful LILLOOET"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lillooet
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (583)
Have you been to Lillooet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lillooet
Photos in LillooetSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 254 reviews, 744 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues