"NED KELLY - THE BUSHRANGER'S LAST STAND" State of Victoria by balhannah
State of Victoria Travel Guide: 6,327 reviews and 15,675 photos
In the olden days, Glen Rowan was a quiet tiny village, not so anymore,
although not big, it is definitely a tourist town now, all because of
Australian Bushranger named 'NED KELLY'
Glenrowan is located near Wangaratta, just off the Hume Highway which
bypasses the town now. Take the detour in, its an interesting stop, even if you aren't Australian.
Ned Kelly was born in 1854, a son of an Irish convict.
At 12years old, his father died, so Ned became the familys breadwinner.
Ned seemed to be in trouble from an early age, when, at 15, he sent the
Testicles of a Calf, accompanied by an indecent note to a local dignitary.
He was sentenced to 6 months hard labour. A few weeks after his release,
he was convicted of receiving a stolen horse, another 3 years in prison for
this, then, petty crime for riding across the footpath!
Superintendent Nicholson did not like the Kellys, and wanted them out of
his neighbourhood, and into Pentridge Jail in Melbourne on the base of any
minor event. He stated "that this would take the flashiness out of them
More happenings, then in June 1880, he held the towns folk hostage in
the local Inn, his plan was to upset the establishment, and form the
Republic of North Eastern Victoria. A shoot-out occurred, Kelly's gang were
in their armour, and hard to bring down, so, for several hours, the
shooting went on, with all but Ned in the Kelly gang dying. Ned, was
captured by the Police, and hung for his crimes he had committed.
Ned Kelly ( SUCH IS LIFE )
Is remembered as a Villian, folk hero, but also a man of courage and defiance.
This is just one of the interesting small towns in Victoria
- Pros:Beautiful scenery
- Cons:Can have very bad bushfires, and very cold, miserable Winters
- In a nutshell:Hire a car, go exploring, there is so much to see & do!
Full of history and beautiful buildings, this is Beechworth. It was built in the early gold-rush days, and today is... more travel advice
This is a very well done museum, (attraction?) on Ned Kelly. Everything you wanted to know about him and his family.... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
State of Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second State, Home State while in Australia!"
- "Sweetberry's Victoria Page"
- "Discovering Victoria's Secrets"
- "The Mighty "Murray River""
- "Ballarat Botanical Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Victoria
- Hotels in State of Victoria
- Transportation in State of Victoria
- Nightlife in State of Victoria
- Restaurants in State of Victoria
- Shopping in State of Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Victoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Victoria
- 169 Reviews
- 592 Photos
- 23 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to State of Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Victoria
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: How much spending money to..."
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's State of Victoria travel pages
- Wrote a Review SCENIC DRIVES IN VICTORIA in State of Victoria Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "VISIT HISTORIC BEECHWORTH"
- updated a State of Victoria Travel Page "NED KELLY - THE BUSHRANGER'S LAST STAND"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 83 reviews, 268 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (256)
Top State of Victoria hotels
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3371 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Lorne Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Daylesford Hotels
- 122 Reviews - 271 Photos
- Warrnambool Hotels
- 83 Reviews - 138 Photos
- Coldstream Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Ballarat Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 492 Photos
- Apollo Bay Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 131 Photos
- Cowes Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Saint Leonards Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Lakes Entrance Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Echuca Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Thomastown Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Epping Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Camberwell Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 10 Photos