"NED KELLY - THE BUSHRANGER'S LAST STAND" State of Victoria by balhannah
State of Victoria Travel Guide: 6,441 reviews and 16,156 photos
In the olden days, Glen Rowan was a quiet tiny village, not so anymore, although not big, it is definitely a tourist town now, all because of Australian Bushranger named 'NED KELLY'
Glenrowan is located near Wangaratta, just off the Hume Highway which bypasses the town now. Take the detour in, its an interesting stop, even if you aren't Australian.
Ned Kelly was born in 1854, a son of an Irish convict. At 12years old, his father died, so Ned became the familys breadwinner. Ned seemed to be in trouble from an early age, when, at 15, he sent the Testicles of a Calf, accompanied by an indecent note to a local dignitary. He was sentenced to 6 months hard labour. A few weeks after his release, he was convicted of receiving a stolen horse, another 3 years in prison for this, then petty crime for riding across the footpath!
Superintendent Nicholson did not like the Kellys, and wanted them out of his neighbourhood, and into Pentridge Jail in Melbourne on the base of any
minor event. He stated "that this would take the flashiness out of them.
In June 1880, he held the towns folk hostage in the local Inn, his plan was to upset the establishment, and form the Republic of North Eastern Victoria. A shoot-out occurred, Kelly's gang were in their armour and hard to bring down, so for several hours the shooting went on, with all but Ned in the Kelly gang dying. Ned, was captured by the Police, and hung for his crimes he had committed.
Ned Kelly ( SUCH IS LIFE )
Is remembered as a Villian, folk hero, but also a man of courage and defiance.
THIS PAGE CONTINUES TO BE UPDATED AND ADDED TO
- Pros:Beautiful scenery
- Cons:Can have very bad bushfires, and very cold, miserable Winters
- In a nutshell:Hire a car, go exploring, there is so much to see & do!
Full of history and beautiful buildings, this is Beechworth. It was built in the early gold-rush days, and today is... more travel advice
This is a very well done museum, (attraction?) on Ned Kelly. Everything you wanted to know about him and his family.... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
State of Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second State, Home State while in Australia!"
- "Sweetberry's Victoria Page"
- "Discovering Victoria's Secrets"
- "The Mighty "Murray River""
- "Ballarat Botanical Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Victoria
- Hotels in State of Victoria
- Transportation in State of Victoria
- Nightlife in State of Victoria
- Restaurants in State of Victoria
- Shopping in State of Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Victoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Victoria
- 172 Reviews
- 603 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (480)
Have you been to State of Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Victoria
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Road Trip: Sydney to Brisbane "
- updated a State of Victoria Travel Page "NED KELLY - THE BUSHRANGER'S LAST STAND"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's State of Victoria travel pages
- Wrote a Review SCENIC DRIVES IN VICTORIA in State of Victoria Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "VISIT HISTORIC BEECHWORTH"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues