"♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia by balhannah
Australia Travel Guide: 45,782 reviews and 117,256 photos
These pages are being added to all the time.....
For a lot more information, click on the INDIVIDUAL TOWNS IN AUSTRALIA
Just run your cursor over each photo, and it will come up with the name of the State it's located in.
FOR INFORMATION ON THE STATES......
NEW SOUTH WALES
THE NORTHERN TERRITORY is a Territory and not a State
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
GREAT SOUTHERN LAND, A LAND DOWN UNDER ..........................
Whatever you want to call it, Australia, is my Home.
AUSTRALIA is the World's SMALLEST CONTINENT, but the WORLD'S 6th LARGEST COUNTRY.
Australia, is the FLATEST, LOWEST, and except for Antartica, the DRIEST of ALL THE CONTINENTS.
Australia's highest Mountain, MT. KOSCIUSZKO,
located in the Snowy Moutains, is ranked only the 71st highest Mountain in the World!
This means that Mt. Everest, is 4x higher!
AUSTRALIA is home to the WORLD'S LARGEST MONOLITH..... ULURU
Australia's National Gemstone is the Opal,
and on my LIGHTNING RIDGE page, you can read all about where the biggest amount of rare Black Opal is found in the World.
95% of the Worlds supply of Opal comes from Australia's Outback.
Australia's NATIONAL FLORAL emblem is the "ACACIA or GOLDEN WATTLE"
The following is a list of Australian state and territory nicknames, Nicknames of residents, each State's Floral, Animal & Bird emblems.
Smart State, Beautiful one day perfect the next - the FLORAL emblem is the COOKTOWN ORCHID, Animal - KOALA, Bird - BROLGA, residents known as BANANA BENDERS OR CANE TOADS
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY....
Nation's Capital, the FLORAL EMBLEM is the ROYAL BLUEBELL - Residents known as ROUNDABOUTERS
NEW SOUTH WALES......
First State, the FLORAL EMBLEM is the WARATAH, Animal - PLATYPUS, Bird - KOOKABURRA - Residents known as COCKCROACHES
Outback Australia, The Never Never, the FLORAL emblem is STURT'S DESERT ROSE, Animal the RED KANGAROO, Bird - WEDGE TAILED EAGLE, Residents known as TERRITORIANS
Festival State, the FLORAL EMBLEM is STURT'S DESERT PEA, Animal - HAIRY NOSED WOMBAT, Bird PIPING SHRIKE - Residents known as CROW-EATERS
Apple Isle, the FLORAL EMBLEM is the TASMANIAN BLUE GUM, Animal - THE TASMANIAN DEVIL - Residents known as TASWEGIANS OR APPLE-EATERS
State of Excitement or Wildflower State, the FLORAL EMBLEM is the RED & GREEN KANGAROO PAW, Animal - NUMBAT, Bird - BLACK SWAN - Residents known as SAND GROPERS
Garden State, the FLORAL EMBLEM is the COMMON HEATH, Animal - LEADBEATER'S POSSUM, Bird - HELMETED HONEYEATER, Residents known as MEXICANS [south of the border] or GUM SUCKERS
THE AUSTRALIAN FLAG..........
Consists of the Union Jack in the top quarter of the flag, this represents the United Kingdom,
with the body of the flag having the 5 stars representing the Southern Cross.
The seven pointed Commonwealth Star below the Union Jack, represents Australia's federal system.
Australia is a land of huge contrasts, so much to see, and most people
have so little time.
We have some wonderfully different National Parks, and on my pages I have written about some that are less known to Oversea's Travellers, but are well worth the visit.
There are so many nice places. I have written a lot about places less visited but just as nice, at least these won't be over - run with Tourists!
So, do come and visit, you won't be disappointed, there is something for
It takes us Australians all our lives to get around it!
Dorothea McKellar wrote a patriotic poem on Australia, that describes the country very well
The first stanza refers to England,
and the fact that the vast majority of Australians of that era were of
British birth or ancestry.
Most Australians are generally not aware of this first stanza
even though the second stanza is amongst the most well-known pieces of Australian poetry.
Copy and paste the link to read the poem
- Pros:A country that has everything
- Cons:A long way from the rest of the World
- In a nutshell:I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains, of ragged mountain ranges, of drought and flooding rains,......
Wanting to come and work in Oz and wonder how much money you will need? This is information is correct in 2013. "For... more travel advice
The Pacific Highway is the major route travelling along the coast from Brisbane to Sydney. It is very busy route and the... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 3,761 Reviews
- 11,191 Photos
- 456 Forum posts
- 238 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (221)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Best way to find the nice..."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Australia tips
- Wrote a Review HOW MUCH MONEY TO ENTER AUSTRALIA ON WORKING VISA in Australia Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "HOW MUCH MONEY TO ENTER AUSTRALIA ON WORKING VISA"
- updated a Australia Travelogue "TOILETS AROUND AUSTRALIA - PART 6"
- Commented on the Australia travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 85 reviews, 275 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (257)
Top Australia hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5766 Reviews - 13433 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3371 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2288 Reviews - 4816 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 979 Reviews - 2129 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 886 Reviews - 2275 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Coffs Harbour Hotels
- 250 Reviews - 567 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 417 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 727 Photos