"ON THE DARDANELLES" Top 5 Page for this destination Canakkale Ili by balhannah

Canakkale Ili Travel Guide: 496 reviews and 1,959 photos

ARRIVAL

Canakkale is actually pronounced "CHANAKKALE"

In Istanbul, I caught a modern "Truva" Bus to bring me here. At Eceabat, we crossed the Dardenelle straight on a Car/Passenger Ferry to reach Canakkle.
The voyage doesn't take long, and 1st impressions were quite good. I could see a Castle and a nice Promenade.

I soon found my Hotel, the "Anzac Hotel" It was located quite near the Ferry Terminal and opposite the Clock Tower.

Canakkale was interesting to walk around. There were plenty of shops to browse and I found a nice Bazaar, good Restaurants with plenty of choice, Trojan Horse and helpful, friendly people.
I loved all the Restaurants located along the sea front, how nice to sit outside and have my meal. I had a lovely, reasonably price Fish meal along here, but can't remember the name of the establishment!

My main reason for visiting, was to visit Gelibolu Peninsula (Gallipoli) on tour, but I also enjoyed my time at this seaside town.

Exciting for me, was on one of the Ferry crossings, the Turkish Navy had a convoy of Ships heading out to sea. To my amazement, two of them were Submarines, the first time I had seen them out of a Museum.
So, keep your eyes peeled, you never know what you might see!

• Pros:Small town with nice Eateries with sea views.
  • In a nutshell:Nice spot to spend a couple of days.
  • Last visit to Canakkale Ili: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2013

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2010 at 2:27 AM

I guess this is a regulation stopover for Aussies wanting to visit Gallipoli. We have an overnight stop.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Canakkale Ili

Have you been to Canakkale Ili?