"THE SAILING CITY OF KIEL" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiel by balhannah
Kiel Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 310 photos
Kiel, I didn't find the most attractive of cities. Our Ship docked close to the "red light district" from where we walked into the centre.
Most of Kiel was destroyed in aerial bombing raids during World War II, because it was home to a major submarine base.
Now, most of the buildings are post-war along the pedestrian zone that runs parallel to the harbour.
What I liked at Kiel, was the shipping and a very good Open Air Museum.
A BIG FESTIVAL AT KIEL
Kiel Week is an annual sailing event in Kiel, Germany.
It is the largest sailing event in the world, and also one of the largest Volksfest in Germany.
Kiel Week is held annually in the last complete week in June, and ends with a large fireworks display at 11 p.m. on the Sunday, with Fireworks fired from pontoons or the quays at the Howaldtswerke, visible all across the Bay of Kiel.
A special event is the Tall Ships Parade, with more than 100 tall ships and traditional sailing ships and hundreds of yachts. The Tall Ships Parade is usually in the morning of the closing Sunday of Kiel Week.
EXCELLENT OPEN AIR MUSEUM
If you enjoy open-air museums like I do, then don't miss the Schleswig-Holstein Open Air Museum in Molfsee. 6kms from Kiel. It's the largest open-air museum in northern Germany.
KIEL WAS OUR 1ST PORT OF CALL ON OUR CRUISE
Most people did tours that went to other towns, we decided to stay in Kiel and didn't regret it one little bit!
The Open-Air museum was excellent, and easy to reach, as was the Kiel Canal.
Time was spent watching the ships here, and there is plenty of them!
We filled in the day easily, and hardly spent any money.
Come with me as we go cruising. First, a day at sea, then into fjord country and to GEIRANGER in Norway.
- In a nutshell:Enough to keep us busy for a day!
Another Monument that stands out, is the Laboe Naval Memorial, which consists of a 72-metre high tower with an... more travel advice
The Palace gardens are quite a good size and very nice. Green lawns and floral gardens, plus views over the Port. We saw... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Kiel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quite a cool city!"
- "THE SAILING CITY OF KIEL"
- "the "little" Kiel"
- "Ferry to Göteborg, some impressions before we left"
- "City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiel
- Hotels in Kiel
- Transportation in Kiel
- Restaurants in Kiel
- Shopping in Kiel
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kiel
- 23 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (478)
Have you been to Kiel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiel
Photos in KielSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues