"THE SAILING CITY OF KIEL" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiel by balhannah

Kiel Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 310 photos

Kiel, I didn't find the most attractive of cities. Our Ship docked close to the "red light district" from where we walked into the centre.

Most of Kiel was destroyed in aerial bombing raids during World War II, because it was home to a major submarine base.

Now, most of the buildings are post-war along the pedestrian zone that runs parallel to the harbour.

What I liked at Kiel, was the shipping and a very good Open Air Museum.

A BIG FESTIVAL AT KIEL

Kiel Week is an annual sailing event in Kiel, Germany.

It is the largest sailing event in the world, and also one of the largest Volksfest in Germany.

Kiel Week is held annually in the last complete week in June, and ends with a large fireworks display at 11 p.m. on the Sunday, with Fireworks fired from pontoons or the quays at the Howaldtswerke, visible all across the Bay of Kiel.

A special event is the Tall Ships Parade, with more than 100 tall ships and traditional sailing ships and hundreds of yachts. The Tall Ships Parade is usually in the morning of the closing Sunday of Kiel Week.

EXCELLENT OPEN AIR MUSEUM

If you enjoy open-air museums like I do, then don't miss the Schleswig-Holstein Open Air Museum in Molfsee. 6kms from Kiel. It's the largest open-air museum in northern Germany.

KIEL WAS OUR 1ST PORT OF CALL ON OUR CRUISE
Most people did tours that went to other towns, we decided to stay in Kiel and didn't regret it one little bit!
The Open-Air museum was excellent, and easy to reach, as was the Kiel Canal.
Time was spent watching the ships here, and there is plenty of them!
We filled in the day easily, and hardly spent any money.

Come with me as we go cruising. First, a day at sea, then into fjord country and to GEIRANGER in Norway.

• In a nutshell:Enough to keep us busy for a day!
  • Last visit to Kiel: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2013

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

My grandmother's father came from Kiel to the US around 1869 when he was 9 years old. This is the first time I have seen the city, although I know it is not the city he knew. A very nice surprise to find a piece on Kiel.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Dec 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM

That is great you now know a little more about the city. As you can see, some big war memorials there.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Hi Dee - did I ever tell you John was stationed here with the RN 50 years ago. We have been back but he failed to find many of his old haunts.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Kiel