"GRUYERES" Top 5 Page for this destination Gruyères by balhannah

Gruyères Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 357 photos

Gruyeres, located 64 kms from Bern, is a delightful medieval town with cobblestone streets, a Castle, Restaurants, shops and museums.

At the steeper end of the main street stands Gruyeres Castle.

Located around the town, you will see Cranes, [features of the Bird], this is the crest of Gruyeres.

CHEESE..... if you are interesting in discovering Swiss cheese, you will definately come across this here, and at many other places if you follow the "swiss cheese route"

Guyeres is a step back in time, a little touristy, but I still loved it!

The views are a must see, simply BREATHTAKING!

I'm glad we saw it on one of the quieter days!

After reading this page, if you wish to follow my journey through Switzerland, please click on the town link below.

ESTAVAYER- LE-LAC

• Pros:Interesting Town & Castle
  • Cons:Gets a lot of Tourist coaches
  • In a nutshell:Beaut old town with fantastic scenic views
  • Last visit to Gruyères: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2011

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I finally found where I left off - it was at Gruyeres ;) What an interesting page, how beautiful the castle is on the inside.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I love Gruyeres, the cheese, but have never been to Gruyeres , the town ;-) It looks really pretty, and the H R Giger works look interesting

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Thanks for visiting Sarah. His works are VERY unusual for sure!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Though I used to live in Bern, I somehow have never been to Gruyeres. It looks lovely in your photos, and I can see why the Knights Hall was your favorite room in the Castle.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Oh,more cute cows :-) My favourite is the wooden one, on the way from Gryeres to Montreux. Or is it a bear with horns? lol... No cheese? That is where I know the name from. Marvellous landscapes and .. well, the sculpture with the apes (?) is indeed strange

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Ihad one of my favorite travel meals in Gruyere, raclette, fondue and a meringue dessert with double cream! Lovely page Dee :-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Lovely little page with brilliant photos. Although I often buy the Gruyeres cheese in my local supermarket here in Germany, I have never really visited the town.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM

This is a place everybody should visit, when travelling in Switzerland, and the local Gryere-cheese is one of the best you will find in Switzerland !

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Really enjoyed ready this page, my Mum went here for a skydiving meet a few years ago and really loved the place :-) Your tips are really helpful and I love your photos! Hope to go here one day .

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Its a beautiful setting isn't it...I think I might have blocked out the "hand"...Its a little bit gruesome! Ill check back again Dee..looks like another beautiful day that you had to explore here.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Gruyères

Have you been to Gruyères?

Latest Activity in Gruyères