"EXPLORING MEMMINGEN!" Top 5 Page for this destination Memmingen by balhannah

Memmingen Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 133 photos

Memmingen, founded in 1158, is located in the county of Bavaria-Swabia.

Tourism

There is a lot more to see in this Town than I have written about.

I needed more time for walking!

There is some of the town wall left from the 12th century, medieval market place, the town hall, gothic church of St. Martin, Witches tower, and more than one entrance gate.

A big attraction all over the region is the Fisher's Day when thousands of tourists come to celebrate this medieval tradition.
Saturday, at the end of July, the Trout in the town river are fished for.
On Thursday before Fisher's Day, Kinderfest is celebrated by performances and
dancing in the market place .

For something special.....

Every 4 years, the people of Memmingen wear historic costumes, play scenes of daily life in 1630, when General Wallenstein occupied the town for some weeks.

You need to check the website for more information.

After you have read these page's, if you would like to follow my trail around Germany, please click on next Town listed below

ROT AN DER ROT

• In a nutshell:Interesting old historic, town area.
  • Last visit to Memmingen: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2012

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Oh well, now Memmingen is also high on my list because of the Wessobrunn artists :-))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM

This is the first place on your tour that I have actually been to. In June 2002 I went to Memmingen on a business trip and even stayed overnight, but unfortunately didn’t have any time for sightseeing.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Mar 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Well I never! I guess you have travelled more around 'your' area?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Mar 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I tend to visit big cities when I have to pay my own way. But I did a lot of business travel all over Germany in the nineties and noughties.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Hi Dee, Memmingen looks like a very pretty little town and it was nice to read about your impressions! The architecture is so different compared to my part of Germany!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Thanks for sharing your visit to Memmingen and for visiting my Bad Zwischenahn page. I adore exploring small German towns. You never know what you will see around the next corner. The tax building in Memmingen looks so intricately painted. Makes me want to pay another visit to Bavaria very soon!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Memmingen

Have you been to Memmingen?