"WALKING THROUGH A PICTURE BOOK OF HOMES!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mittenwald by balhannah

Mittenwald Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 287 photos

When we arrived at Mittenwald, we parked the car and proceeded to the old town.

Well, It was a sight to behold! So many building's all with Luftlmalereien paintings, it was just beautiful!

I guess you could say I was "goggled eyed" with all these very well done paintings.

The facades of many houses are decorated with wall paintings dating from the 18th century and later.

Most of the colourful and artistic frescoes are based on biblical themes.

Mittenwald is also one of the most important centres of violin making in the world.

The Old town is full of pavement cafes & souvenir shops.

I couldn't think of a better place for that cup of coffee, than in this old area!

We really enjoyed our time here!

It is a must see if you want to see a lot of Luftlmalereien paintings over a compact area, and there are more in the nearby town of Wallgau

After you have read these pages, perhaps you would like to click on the link to visit the next town on our 2011 road trip around parts of Germany ETTAL

• Pros:Mountains, River, Luftlmalerei and more!
  • Cons:Nil
  • In a nutshell:Too beautiful for words!
  • Last visit to Mittenwald: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2014

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Mittenwald is definitely one of my favourite towns :-))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Another beautiful town on your tour of Germany.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Mar 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

So much more to see and do here, really needed to stay a day or two. Thanks for visiting!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Isn't Mittelwald fun? We had a grand time looking for musical symbols on all the painted buildings. Did you notice the treble clef at the top of the church tower? Love it . . .

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Looks like you found a little "gem" here...I need to spend some time exploring Germany...I'd have come home with the straw "billy goat" I'm sure of that!! Thanks for stopping by my Gruyeres pages..Ill look forward to reading about your impressions...Its a regular stop over when I visit my pals..Cheers Dee!!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Mittenwald

Have you been to Mittenwald?