Schloss Neuschwanstein Transportation Tips by balhannah
Schloss Neuschwanstein Transportation: 28 reviews and 42 photos
We have parked our Car, and seen about the admission tickets, so now it is time for us to decide which way to climb the hill to the Castle.
Well, as neither of us are what you call "real young," walking up the steep hill really didn't appeal! Walks are signposted and give estimated time of doing the walk, just remember, it is uphill all the way! They estimate 30 - 40 minutes.
Next choice, the Horse & carriage which departed from Hotel Muller. It looked to be quite popular, but we decided against the 6euro up, and 3 euro downhill ride.
All that was left was the Bus, and this was the most popular of the lot. It departed from the Schlosshotel Lisl. We bought a return ticket which cost 2.60 euro's from the booth and then waited with the huge crowd in queues for the Bus. When the Bus arrived, they put as many people on as possible, I mean, 'packed in like sardines.' Lucky the ride was only short, and soon we were at the Bus stop near the top.
I say "near the top" as we were dropped off near Marien Brucke, and there still is a walk to Newschwanstein Castle.
We had paid for our return trip, but decided against it when we realized we would have to walk the same track back to the bus-stop, this meant, up hill all the way! We walked back down the hill, following the Horse and carriages and returning right next to our car park.
*The Bus doesn't run when snow or ice is on the road.*
Car park near here
As we had our own Car, we drove the 5km from Fussen to Hohenschwangau. This is as far as we could go by private car.
On arrival at Hohenschwangau, we noticed a Car Park that was filling. and we wondered if we should park there. Thank-goodness, we decided to drive on as far as we could, to see if any closer car parking was available.
There was, and from this carpark, it was a 5min walk to the booking office, Horse & carriage and the Bus, great! This would not be always possible, because even though we were there and parked at 9.20am, the Car Park was filling very quickly.
Cost of the car park in 2011 was 5 euro's.
You can also take a train to the town of Füssen, then buses 73 or 78 from Fussen to Hohenschwangau.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (7)
balhannah's Related Pages
Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the most beautiful places on the Earth!"
- "The masterpiece of a mystic man"
- "The fairy Tale castles"
- "The dream castle of King Ludwig"
- "Once upon a time.... Neuschwanstein Castle"
- "Over the edge on the way to Neuschwanstein"
- "Welcome to magic world of Ludwig II"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Hotels in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Transportation in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Nightlife in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Restaurants in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Shopping in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- 9 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (624)
Have you been to Schloss Neuschwanstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: How to put pdf links as a web..."
- updated a Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Page "A DREAM COME TRUE!"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Schloss Neuschwanstein travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A DREAM COME TRUE!"
- Wrote a Review VIEW POINT about Viewpoints in Schloss Neuschwanstein Things to Do
Photos in Schloss NeuschwansteinSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 271 reviews, 792 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 106 reviews, 265 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (326)
- Marienbrücke - Mary's Bridge- 23 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Viewpoints- 9 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Neuschwanstein Castle- 20 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Pöllat Gorge - Pöllatschlucht - Hiking- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Museum of the Bavarian Kings- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Alpsee- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Side Trip - Linderhof Castle- 1 Review, 4 Photos
- Hohenschwangau Castle- 1 Review, 1 Photo